You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-15 15:27:47

ezzetabi

game: I wanna be the guy!

I wanna be the guy! is an unfair and extremely difficult platform game. It parodies and honors many platform games of the '80 and I think that everyone that is more than 20 years old (and liked video games while it was a child) should give it a shot.
I personally find it great when I have to blow some steam...

wikipedia article about the game.
Package.

#2 2009-10-15 16:25:17

FrozenFox
Website

Re: game: I wanna be the guy!

Aw. You had me all excited for a moment expecting a native linux version that doesn't run poorly with all manner of bugs and failures to save properly.

#3 2009-10-15 20:08:07

ezzetabi

I am not sure what you are talking about, the save and the game should work and if it does not please tell me what is the problem.

#4 2009-10-15 21:46:01

FrozenFox
Website

My apologies, I didn't intend to sound mean or angry or something. I appreciate the package, in any case. I just thought for a moment that somehow the game had been ported to native linux as opposed to running wine, and perhaps had a few problems fixed, then noticed by the pkgbuild that I was incorrect (and thusly disappointed).

Last I tried IWBTG in Wine, I had trouble with having to redo the key mapping every time I played among other small save errors and a lack of a volume slider, and there were all sorts of small bugs often having to do with character collision not registering. As I understand it, this is a limitation of the game maker engine IWBTG was made with.

Anyway, thanks wink. I hope the package tempts some people to try it. It's monitor-smashing fun.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-10-15 21:47:13)

#5 2009-10-16 00:22:47

sand_man

haha I lol'd at this.

Q: What is this game made in?

A: It's a rom hack of battle toads.

Q: But battle toads wasn't anything like this!

A: It is toward the end? Have you ever got to the end of battle toads?

Q: No but...

A: Then shut your whore ass mouth and take my word for it. I also used a bit of Multimedia fusion.

neutral

#6 2009-10-16 02:24:26

dannytatom
Website

I lol'd at this: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/ss/sword.png

Also, this game is extremely fucking hard. sad

dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#7 2009-10-16 04:50:26

CalcAndCoffee
Website

This is awesome!  I had always assumed IWBTG didn't run at all in Wine!

#8 2009-10-16 13:48:46

ezzetabi

FrozenFox wrote:

My apologies, I didn't intend to sound mean or angry or something. I appreciate the package, in any case. I just thought for a moment that somehow the game had been ported to native linux as opposed to running wine, and perhaps had a few problems fixed, then noticed by the pkgbuild that I was incorrect (and thusly disappointed).

No need for apologies, I am in the Internet from too long for being bothered... wink But I am happy to see that you are not angry.

FrozenFox wrote:

Last I tried IWBTG in Wine, I had trouble with having to redo the key mapping every time I played among other small save errors and a lack of a volume slider, and there were all sorts of small bugs often having to do with character collision not registering. As I understand it, this is a limitation of the game maker engine IWBTG was made with.

I am afraid it is indeed a multimedia fusion problem: I got no problem with collision, but I saw some movie on youtube about the problem. I guess it is somewhat common.

FrozenFox wrote:

Anyway, thanks wink. I hope the package tempts some people to try it. It's monitor-smashing fun.

Yes, I hope so. The package already got 2 votes! It is great!

#9 2009-10-16 16:39:37

stefanwilkens

you guys are extremely bad for my bloodpressure.

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#10 2009-10-16 16:46:16

ezzetabi

what?

#11 2009-10-16 16:54:06

stefanwilkens

ezzetabi wrote:

what?

I did not know about the game, now I do. eating my hands off trying to get through the lower part of the first level tongue

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#12 2009-10-16 17:44:29

ezzetabi

Try the upper path (double jump at the beginning), I think it is easier.

#13 2009-10-17 02:34:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I can't get past the FIRST stage... I fail.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#14 2009-10-22 07:06:07

ezzetabi

Normal... I usually consider a great conquest for my ego arriving from a save point to the next on hard.

#15 2009-10-22 07:44:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Am at the Mecha Birdo, have already defeated Tyson.... this game is way too addictive. Some of the vids I watched online are mad (Dracula....)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#16 2009-10-23 00:15:19

sand_man

Omg I Hate You!

neutral

#17 2009-10-23 01:00:00

sand_man

Watching the videos are more fun that playing the game big_smile
I love the castlevania part

neutral

#18 2009-11-02 11:31:29

ezzetabi

ngoonee wrote:

Am at the Mecha Birdo, have already defeated Tyson...

Instead I virtually stopped playing at Tyson... waiting almost one minute of animation (Tyson arrival) to die in few seconds is too much for me.

#19 2009-11-02 11:41:23

FrozenFox
Website

ezzetabi wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Instead I virtually stopped playing at Tyson... waiting almost one minute of animation (Tyson arrival) to die in few seconds is too much for me.

You can skip that anim if you press one of the main buttons (forgot which), you know..

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-11-02 11:41:41)

#20 2009-11-02 11:53:51

moljac024

sand_man wrote:

haha I lol'd at this.

Q: What is this game made in?

A: It's a rom hack of battle toads.

Q: But battle toads wasn't anything like this!

A: It is toward the end? Have you ever got to the end of battle toads?

Q: No but...

A: Then shut your whore ass mouth and take my word for it. I also used a bit of Multimedia fusion.

LOL @ Battle toads. Me and a friend once tried completing it on a sega emulator (we even saved and loaded states, e.g. cheated) but we still couldn't finish the game, I don't even know how far we got, we ran out of time, patience and will smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#21 2009-11-02 14:18:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

FrozenFox wrote:
ezzetabi wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

You can skip that anim if you press one of the main buttons (forgot which), you know..

S, I believe.

I've beaten four bosses! Currently at the brain, there's just too many guns...

#22 2009-11-04 09:13:44

ezzetabi

`S' works... Thanks! I actually think it is counter-intuitive using a new key for skipping instead of jumping or shooting. But now I know: thanks!

ngoonee you might find this movie about the brain boss useful.

#23 2009-11-09 20:54:58

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

heh this game is kinda funny.  i should only play this 10 minutes per day though big_smile that's how long it took me to get frustrated for still only reaching half way the first level.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#24 2009-11-10 02:26:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ezzetabi wrote:

`S' works... Thanks! I actually think it is counter-intuitive using a new key for skipping instead of jumping or shooting. But now I know: thanks!

smile I did it, anyway. Was just a matter of finding the pattern, just like all the other bosses....

Am now at The Guy himself. Have been there for slightly less than a week, in fact. The big face is tough....

#25 2009-11-10 02:52:54

CalcAndCoffee
Website

ngoonee wrote:
ezzetabi wrote:

smile I did it, anyway. Was just a matter of finding the pattern, just like all the other bosses....

Am now at The Guy himself. Have been there for slightly less than a week, in fact. The big face is tough....

Good luck!  I watched one of the best gamers I know try that fight for a week or two before he finally gave up.

Did you guys need to do anything special to get saves to work?  I lost my progress whenever I restarted the program (which, of course, can be pretty frustrating with IWBTG... wink )

Board footer