You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-16 20:25:24

I.M.O.G.

Pacman - install specific package versions

I'm coming off Gentoo and would like to know how pacman enables me to install a specific version of a package.  With gentoo, if I wanted to stick with a certain version I could mask versions I did not want to install.  Can I do the same thing with Arch?

#2 2009-10-16 20:35:41

SamC
Website

Re: Pacman - install specific package versions

No. Not easily, at least. Rolling release, you know?

#3 2009-10-16 20:56:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2009-10-16 21:10:23

loafer

You can also build an alternate version using abs or get it from:

http://arm.kh.nu/

Then add it to IgnorePkg.

edit:  you should also consider why you don't want to upgrade:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

Last edited by loafer (2009-10-16 21:11:14)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2009-10-16 23:07:14

I.M.O.G.

Thank you all for the answers.  This was more of a functional question than specific to any issues I currently have.  Everything's working fine with Arch on my T400.

It is a bit disappointing that this isn't easy to do with pacman - this is a really useful way to work around bugs until development implements a fix and gets it into production (drop back to previous version until bug is patched).  It's also useful when you want more certainty that a part of the system is going to remain stable, or manually control when a package gets updated.

IgnorePkg can provide part of this functionality, thanks for the tip!

SamC: Gentoo is a rolling release distro also.  You can select which version of a package you want to install with it though.

#6 2009-10-16 23:10:53

SamC
Website

It may also be rolling release, but it seems less focused on having the latest versions. It's goal, not having used it, seems to be a base for building what you need and then leaving it as-is until you want to upgrade.

#7 2009-10-16 23:14:09

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I.M.O.G. wrote:

It is a bit disappointing that this isn't easy to do with pacman - this is a really useful way to work around bugs until development implements a fix and gets it into production (drop back to previous version until bug is patched).

You can do this with pacman -U (even if you clear your cache there are still a number of sites that you can source older versions of packages from).

Welcome to the forums, btw.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2009-10-17 00:04:38

I.M.O.G.

@Jason: thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of that tho I have used the pacman -U command to get yaourt.

SamC wrote:

It may also be rolling release, but it seems less focused on having the latest versions. It's goal, not having used it, seems to be a base for building what you need and then leaving it as-is until you want to upgrade.

That's pretty accurate of the state of things if your on the stable branch of the portage tree (x86) (portage is similar to pacman, tho much more complex).  If your on unstable (~x86), the experience in regards to package updates is almost identical to Arch.

If you want the latest packages on Gentoo, and still want your system to be highly reliable, the best way of doing that is to use the unstable branch and masking the core packages you don't want to be automatically upgraded, so you can upgrade them when your ready.  Examples are parts of the build toolchain, X, kernel, etc.

Once you do that, just like with arch you can upgrade the entire system with one simple command "emerge -av world".  This looks very similar to using yaourt to install a package from AUR.

Last edited by I.M.O.G. (2009-10-17 00:12:34)

#9 2009-10-17 01:05:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums I.M.O.G.

It's one of the design decisions around Arch that separates it from almost all distros, including the other so-called expert distros like Gentoo. Arch will plough through all sorts of up-stream insanity unless it becomes absolutely unworkable. And even then there's a valiant fight to not go backwards in time. Arch has yet to be beaten though. Bruised? Yup. Beaten? Nope.

Anyway, as you pointed out, IgnorePkg is only part of what you're looking for. You may also want to check out ABS if you haven't already. It's makes it very easy to maintain local copies of official Arch packages.

#10 2009-10-17 05:51:37

I.M.O.G.

skottish: I really appreciate the tip. I had seen references to ABS here and there, but I didn't realize what a big deal it is.  Definitely something I want and it also tipped me off to pacbuilder - I've already customized my cflags so that was good to stumble across.

Board footer