You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-22 12:22:39

deepfreeze

I hosed my fs...and don't know how to fix it

When I started up my box the other day, I got the message that the filesystem had been mounted x times without checking, and that I could manually check it or hit ctrl-D to reboot normally.  I've had this before so I just hit ctrl-D and now all hell has broken loose.  During bootup now, when trying to mount the fs, I get a long string of "Unrecoverable Error" and am unable to go further.

So I pop in my 0.4 install/rescue CD to try and run fsck or something to get back into my system, but have never done that before and have no clue. Is there something I have to pass at the boot: prompt? If I don't, then I cannot access my system, can't run fsck and can't do much of anything. I'd rather not just do a reinstall, as I'd like to try and fix this first.  I've tried to do some searching, but haven't found anything except how to run fsck, which doesn't help because I can't even get to that step yet.  My only net access now is at work, which is monitored so I can't spend a long time searching...if someone could just point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it smile

Thanks in advance

[EDIT]:  Well, nothing like finding the answer 30 seconds after you post a request for help  :oops: .  Maybe someone can just confirm this for me.  At the boot: prompt when I bootup to the CD, I can just pass "init=/bin/bash" and will be able to access my filesystem?  Or do i need to pass something like "root=/location/of/root/partition".  Those are both things i found. Anyway, I'll take 10 lashes for finding the answer after I post for help wink

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#2 2003-07-22 16:01:02

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: I hosed my fs...and don't know how to fix it

If your filesystem isn't actually hooped, then passing the 'root' and the 'init' parameter will work in getting it to start up.  You will need to pass both of them though.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-07-23 14:20:12

deepfreeze

Re: I hosed my fs...and don't know how to fix it

well it seems that I completely hosed everything, plus I actually want to try out the 0.5 new installer, etc., so I'm just going to reinstall and pay more attention this time :oops:...thanks for all the help and advice

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Board footer