You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-17 16:59:48

RetroX

Odd X11 problem...

I've been using Arch for about two months so far, and it hasn't failed me until now.  I ran pacman -Syyu a few days ago (hadn't done it in awhile) and both Compiz and my ATI driver (xf86-video-ati, my card is a Radeon 9000) were updated.  Whenever Compiz was started from that point on (after a restart) whether running compiz in a terminal or using fusion-icon, everything was monochrome (as in, all white, except the shadows were solid black) except the icons Compiz drew (application selector, icon on the top of the desktop cube).  A few days later, I updated from GNOME 2.26 to 2.28, and the video driver updated again.  Now, Compiz ran all of its 2D effects (only, a lot slower) and whenever the desktop cube rotated, it resulted in everything going black (although, at one point everything was blended with green).

Occasionally, random noise would appear on the panel, and parts of fonts would disappear (for example, only half of an M would be drawn, for every M drawn).  This only occurred when running Compiz, and not with Metacity, but after switching from Compiz with noise to Metacity, the noise was still there.

I can still use 3D (Neverball works), however, it's about half as fast as it used to be.

Today, I log onto GNOME, and I can't change my resolution to anything other than 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480.  It switched from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 automatically when init was set to 5.

Is there any way to fix this?  I'm using the updated versions of X, GNOME, and Compiz from the regular repositories, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9000, and I'm using the open source drivers without an xorg.conf configuration.  I've never experienced this kind of error before, and I'm assuming something is wrong with my video driver, but after trying to fix for a few days, I've had no success.

#2 2009-10-17 20:50:58

natron
Website

Re: Odd X11 problem...

hey, I had the same problem.  when I first logged in, things would look fine, and slowly my fonts would degrade and artifacts would appear on the screen.  after some flailing, I removed my xorg.conf (after backing it up first), restarted X and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Good luck.

#3 2009-10-17 23:50:30

RetroX

The problem is, I have no xorg.conf.  Pacman might have put one in my home folder, though; I'll go check.

EDIT: Nope, there's none there, either.

Last edited by RetroX (2009-10-17 23:51:23)

#4 2009-10-18 00:29:39

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

RetroX wrote:

The problem is, I have no xorg.conf.  Pacman might have put one in my home folder, though; I'll go check.

You will only have an xorg.conf if _you_ make it. (Either by using a tool or writing it by hand)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2009-10-18 00:35:19

Acecero

Recommend using Xorg -configure to do the dirty work.

#6 2009-10-18 00:35:54

RetroX

Mr.Elendig wrote:
RetroX wrote:

You will only have an xorg.conf if _you_ make it. (Either by using a tool or writing it by hand)

Exactly, which is what I'm having a problem with.  Although, I will try making one with X -configure and see if I get any better results.

Board footer