You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-18 01:25:10

sokuban

SCIM input in flash/font problems in flash (ニコニコ動画)

Okay, so there is this Japanese website called NicoNico Douga, that hosts videos, and I have a few problems with it.

The comments system is made so that you have to input the comment into a flash object. I can click on it and type in it, but even if I hit ctrl+space SCIM doesn't activate, and as it is a Japanese website, being able to type with SCIM is almost a necessity. (I /can/ however enter a Japanese comment by typing it out somewhere else and copy&pasting it into the niconico comment box. But this isn't a very intuitive.) I know it is possible to use SCIM to input into flash (from Googleing), but I have no clue how people manage to do it.

My other problem is with the font. Notice the black bar in the picture? If you look closely, you'll see there is text on the buttons. That text is supposed to be white. I have no clue why it is black.

Also, the whole site would be better off in a Japanese font. (Like MS PGothic or something) A Japanese font is being used for the text in the website, but my system default is used in the flash. One big difference is the word 動画 (circled). In the Japanese font on the second letter the vertical line in the middle connects up to the horizontal line at the top, but in the Chinese font (my system default) there is just a space there. This is just being nitpicky I guess, but seeing as most of the site is in Japanese, using a Japanese font there would be nice. The other circle is 直, another glyph that looks significantly different with a Japanese/Chinese font. (I can read it since I know Chinese, but the average monolingual Japanese might wonder what the glyph is if they saw the Chinese font version out of context.)

Help appreciated.

200910171659571280x800s.th.png

Last edited by sokuban (2009-10-18 13:20:55)

#2 2009-10-18 11:24:53

jarryson

Re: SCIM input in flash/font problems in flash (ニコニコ動画)

it's a little to long, and i don't quite understand.

but if you are saying something like, scim can't type japanese in flash, it's pretty normal. can't type chinese either.

and if there is something wrong with cjk character display in flash, please check your fonts setting.

#3 2009-10-18 11:39:55

sokuban

jarryson wrote:

but if you are saying something like, scim can't type japanese in flash, it's pretty normal. can't type chinese either.

Nah, it isn't normal, we both just have the same problem.

jarryson wrote:

and if there is something wrong with cjk character display in flash, please check your fonts setting.

The main "problem" is that some text that is supposed to be white was black, and the other one is that it isn't using a Japanese font, instead using my system default which is a Chinese font.

#4 2009-10-18 13:10:27

dkeehl

By using scim-bridge in AUR, or setting GTK_IM_MODULE to xim, maybe you can call scim out in flash.

sokuban wrote:

My other problem is with the font. Notice the black bar in the picture? If you look closely, you'll see there is text on the buttons. That text is supposed to be white. I have no clue why it is black.

sorry, but where's the picture?

#5 2009-10-18 13:22:35

sokuban

Wow, I feel stupid. First post updated with picture.

So how does scim-bridge work? It lets you use scim in xim or something? Or wait. You said "or". If I just set my IM Module to "xim", then I can't call out scim anywhere.

I have tried scim-bridge before, but I'm not sure if I did it properly. I just installed it, and changed my IM Module to scim-bridge.

And it works, but not in flash.

Last edited by sokuban (2009-10-18 13:34:09)

#6 2009-10-19 07:47:54

jarryson

too bad, i can't see the pic. the whole imageshack website was blocked in our country. fuck the GWF, maybe one day the internet will be a big LAN in our country .

nerver mind, i was just complain.

BTW: since flash was closed source, this problem may be hard to be solved.

#7 2009-10-19 14:35:23

Procyon

Is that Vista's Meiryo? I use that font too. I also get a different font in flash itself.

I don't get the black/gray gradient bar at all.

I don't use IM so I can't help with that.

Midori screenshot (still don't have flash in FX):
scrot20091019162429.th.png

#8 2009-10-19 15:09:18

sokuban

jarryson wrote:

too bad, i can't see the pic. the whole imageshack website was blocked in our country. fuck the GWF, maybe one day the internet will be a big LAN in our country .

nerver mind, i was just complain.

Ah, you are from China? I've been in China for a few months so I know what it's like. I used this utility to bypass the firewall: http://www.packetix.net/en/

I had the utility before I went into China, it is a free Japanese VPN service for some "security" thing - I used it mostly to view Japanese sites that only allowed access from Japan, and then it occurred to me one day I could also use it to bypass the wall. (I don't think the website is blocked there, but I can't be sure. The VPN service worked though.) It was a few months ago, I used it from June to August this year, so it might still work.

However it is kinda slow.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot it was a Windows program. X_x Well if you have Windows you can use it I guess. Or try to find a way to get Tor.

Procyon wrote:

Is that Vista's Meiryo? I use that font too. I also get a different font in flash itself.

I don't get the black/gray gradient bar at all.

I don't use IM so I can't help with that.

Midori screenshot (still don't have flash in FX):
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7007/s … 429.th.png

Yes, that is Meiryo. In the flash I am getting iYaHei (my system default). You are probably getting your system default font used in the flash.

And you don't use IM? Really? O_o Are you thinking of "Instant Messaging?". I was talking about an "Input Method". Can you type Japanese in the comment box?

You don't get the black bar because you are in beginner mode. Click the yellow 上級者モードに切り替える button.

Last edited by sokuban (2009-10-19 15:20:18)

#9 2009-10-19 15:41:10

Dheart

I also can't input cyrillic characters in flash sites... I think there's a bug report filed at linux flash, but last time I checked it hadn't gotten anywhere.
As far as I know, you can't input non enlish characters at linux flash ATM. And as non English count also the Spanish accents or the German unlauds, kana and kanji are out of the question....
You could try, of course browser under wine + windows flash...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#10 2009-10-19 15:48:51

Procyon

I see the black on black font too now.

And no I don't use IM, I still have to look up almost all kanji by radical (I do have rikaichan). I did make some tools for that http://archlinux.me/procyon/?p=66, though now I have like 5 or 6 and not just 1 so I should make a new post.

Last edited by Procyon (2009-10-19 15:49:11)

#11 2009-10-19 15:50:09

dkeehl

export GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"

and reset scim

I can activate scim after this,
but the characters become mojibake when committed to flash.

http://img2.pict.com/88/48/25/1797123/0/1024/1.png

I suppose this flash always use the system font

#12 2009-10-19 21:59:47

sokuban

Dheart wrote:

I also can't input cyrillic characters in flash sites... I think there's a bug report filed at linux flash, but last time I checked it hadn't gotten anywhere.
As far as I know, you can't input non enlish characters at linux flash ATM. And as non English count also the Spanish accents or the German unlauds, kana and kanji are out of the question....
You could try, of course browser under wine + windows flash...

Ah, you are right. I tried inputting some non-English characters with the Compose key, and those also turn out as mojibake.

And running a browser in wine requires far more effort than I'm willing to put in. Also there is the fact that you can't theme wine applications as well, so it won't integrate with the desktop. I'd rather just type somewhere else and copy and paste in.

dkeehl wrote:
export GTK_IM_MODULE="xim"

and reset scim

I can activate scim after this,
but the characters become mojibake when committed to flash.

http://img2.pict.com/88/48/25/1797123/0/1024/1.png

I suppose this flash always use the system font

Hmm, I thought I tried this before, but I tried it again and I experience the same behaviour as you.

However, I can still type something elsewhere and copy and paste it in flash and it works.

If I was a programmer, I would have written a program that inputs text into a little text box for conversion, and as soon as the text it is committed, it is copied and pasted into the last hilited text box and then disappears. Sort of like a workaround to get around the 'cannot input in flash' problem. But unfortunately, I'm not a programmer.

About the font thing, I noticed something interesting. I tried running firefox with a Japanese locale, thinking that it might be able to avoid the mojibake problem (it didn't). But, one thing that was funny, was that it was using iYaHei for /all/ the text, English and Japanese inside flash now. (Before it used Sans for English, and iYaHei as a fallback.)

This gave me the idea to try running firefox with my separate gtkrc that has a Japanese system font. So I tried it, and the flash /still used iYaHei/.

This means that somewhere, my computer is saying that iYaHei is my "Japanese font" (as I said earlier, it is a Chinese font), and nico is pulling that somehow. Another peculiarity I notice, is that when I have numbers before hiragana or katakana, iYaHei is used, while before Chinese Characters, Latin, or anything else the normal Sans is used.

20091019175408643x521sc.png

While I didn't bother with it, it is kinda annoying, as iYaHei is a pretty ugly font. But if it'd help with this flash thing, might as well hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

#13 2010-07-26 08:33:50

cyker

Are there any improvements over these months? I encounter the same problem while playing a Flash game in the browser. I cannot call out SCIM or type any Chinese characters. But I can type it somewhere else and paste it in. I know little about Flash. So is there anyone who'll kindly give a solution?

#14 2010-07-26 11:01:06

ChemBro

Maybe try ibus instead of scim?

#15 2010-07-26 12:15:33

cyker

Yes, IBUS works in Flash. Does this mean I should say goodbye to SCIM...

#16 2010-07-26 13:04:54

sokuban

Oh wow, I didn't expect replies to this ancient topic.

Thank you everyone. *bow*

I never heard of ibus working with flash and all. If that's the case then I guess maybe I'll try it.

Maybe I should make a different topic for this though but...

Can someone explain to me the core differences between uim, scim, and ibus?

From my understanding uim is the old one, and scim is newer, and ibus is even newer?

Yet they all still exist at the same time why?

And I had someone tell me the other day at ArchCon that uim has regained the spotlight and popularity these days.

#17 2010-09-28 05:24:50

Operator23

How did you get IBUS working in flash? I can't get any of these things to work; at one point I had one that could input garbage, and I thought it was uim, but that doesn't seem to be case now...

#18 2010-09-28 05:46:56

Operator23

Somehow I got this working. I went through a lot of permutations, but what I have now (and what is working) is this:

Lines from .xinitrc:

export XMODIFIERS='@im=uim'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"

uim-xim &
export LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"

One important detail here is that my GTK_IM_MODULE and KDE_IM_MODULE are *not* uim-xim, which is what they were before.

I've tested this on sharedtalk.com in chromium run with LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8".

#19 2010-09-28 09:32:54

blowback

sokuban wrote:

Can someone explain to me the core differences between uim, scim, and ibus?

From my understanding uim is the old one, and scim is newer, and ibus is even newer?

Yet they all still exist at the same time why?

scim is probably no longer maintained (the project is dead), AFAIK.
uim is still maintained. But it's not popular in Chinese community because it has no Chinese message catalog. And it may have less functional support for Chinese (I don't know).
ibus is young. It has low customability and has larger footprint because some part of it are python apps.

In short, if you use cn and ja, you should use ibus.

Operator23 wrote:

export XMODIFIERS='@im=uim'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"

It's normal and correct setting smile

#20 2010-11-09 14:10:45

bombpersons

export LC_ALL="ja_JP.UTF-8"

I'm using IBUS and this is what got it to work for me. I don't know why but it seems that you need to be in Japanese locale for it to work (don't know about other locales that use an IME...)

Board footer