You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-19 02:25:38

glenn69

During boot..contains a file system with errors ??

Lately when I boot up my system, I receive the error dev/sda3 contains a file syetem with errors, force check.  I have to hit CTRL+D to continue.  Then it reboots, goes past sda3 to give the same error for sda4 which it checks...then I hit CTRL+D it reboots and usually continues to a working system.

It has happenned many times in the past few weeks, however once boot up the system is fine.  Sda3 is my / partition and sda4 is home.  Should I check a log for more info, or should I manually run some checks?
This makes my Arch system's boot up time seem to take as long as Ubuntu hmm.

Thanks

#2 2009-10-19 02:35:42

Pox

Re: During boot..contains a file system with errors ??

I've been having this too, usually after I have to kill the system by holding the power button or alt-sysrq-b... it's been hanging every now and again since 2.6.31. hmm

Tip: when you get that prompt, log in and

fsck /dev/sda3 && fsck /dev/sda4 && exit

, and it should run both checks, then reboot.

Last edited by Pox (2009-10-19 02:36:05)

#3 2009-10-19 02:38:49

glenn69

Thanks for the response, but that will simply perform the disk checks without the need for a reboot in between.  That does help, but I'm a bit more interested in the WHY it is happening.  How do I find that out to determine a long term solution?

Again thanks for your quick response.

#4 2009-10-19 04:01:45

tavianator
Website

glenn69 wrote:

Thanks for the response, but that will simply perform the disk checks without the need for a reboot in between.

Not quite - the disk checks during boot don't actually fix filesystem errors.  That's your job when you're dropped into the shell.  You may run fsck /dev/<your hd> (or fsck -y for non-interactive mode) to repair the filesystem.

glenn69 wrote:

That does help, but I'm a bit more interested in the WHY it is happening.  How do I find that out to determine a long term solution?

Could be any number of reasons; I find an unclean shutdown is the most common cause for me.  But if this happens consistently after you manually repair the filesystems, there may be something wrong with your actual hard drive.

Also, if you're not using a journaling filesystem (ex. ext3/4), try using one.

#5 2009-10-19 13:43:44

glenn69

I am nearly certain that I have discovered the reason for the constant disk checks.  "Superblock last write time is in the future."  OK, so that means I have an issue with my system time...I think.
My daemons are as follows:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network rpcbind nfslock @netfs @cups @alsa openntpd autofs hal crond kdm)
Openntpd should handle time.  Is there something wrong here ?

#6 2009-10-19 15:18:52

tavianator
Website

glenn69 wrote:

I am nearly certain that I have discovered the reason for the constant disk checks.  "Superblock last write time is in the future."  OK, so that means I have an issue with my system time...I think.
My daemons are as follows:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network rpcbind nfslock @netfs @cups @alsa openntpd autofs hal crond kdm)
Openntpd should handle time.  Is there something wrong here ?

Ah yes, I've seen that too.  Try rm /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime.

Board footer