You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-19 20:44:55

MattSmith

Anyone know about Ekiga or VOiP?

I have being trying to set up Ekiga. I have followed the set up instructions on the ekiga website, and I have an ekiga sip. I also paid 10 bucks to diamond card so I can call phones as well. However all of this seams to be in vain because every time I try to do an echo test I get an "abnormal call termination" message. As descriptive as this is I haven't really be able to find a place to even start trouble shooting. I did find this:
http://wiki.diamondcard.us/podwiki?page=EkigaPhone followed the steps, even adjusted the NAT, but no difference. Help would be much appreciated! I'm not tied to using Ekiga, but staying open source is preferred. thanks!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#2 2009-10-19 21:50:57

knedlyk
Website

Re: Anyone know about Ekiga or VOiP?

I use Ekiga for sip calls and very happy about this. Basically I use Betamax http://backsla.sh/betamax , configuration for Ekiga is very easy, it is enough to set registrar like sip.justvoip.com (for example), username (there are two username fields, I entered both the same username I set up in my betamax account), and password.

Tip: try to disable video codecs, just unmark all of them, they can cause problems with connection. Also check your audio codecs, I have enabled the following codecs: Speex, iLBC, PCMU, PCMA, gsm, G722. Ayou cam play with them until you get stable connection and can hear you own voice in Ekiga test call.

#3 2009-10-19 22:53:53

MattSmith

I unmarked all the video codecs, and set the video device to moving logo. When I try even the ekiga echo test It wont even ring... I just instantly says abnormal call termination and the call goes to the history. Things that might be useful to note: Istalled ekiga with pacman, I don't use gnome, but pacman should have pulled the correct dependencies, and My internet provider is lightwire (lightwire.co.nz) it's the service provider that I have to use on campus.

It can't be just the sip call provider, it has to be something to do with my configuration/ connection if i can even echo ekiga free sip.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#4 2009-10-28 16:02:09

jwbwater

@knedlyk
Turned off the video codecs and that got ekiga working for me, well that and finding the right alsa model option for my computer to get the microphone working.

Thanks!

#5 2009-10-28 18:30:08

knedlyk
Website

@jwbwater
Welcome :-)

Board footer