You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 06:27:10

Declan

Annoying problem with digital camera

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway, I have a nikon coolpix L20. When I plug it in with the usb cord, it does a few things all at once:
1. An icon pops up on my desktop, with an image of the camera and its name.
2. A dialog window pops up saying "a camera has been detected".
3. Another dialog window pops up saying "You have just inserted a medium with digital photos. Choose what application to launch".

Here's a picture of it: http://i38.tinypic.com/35c53mc.png

Now, if I click "import photos" for the first window, nothing happens. The option tab thing in the second window is greyed out, so I just click ok for that one. Now, if I double click the icon on my desktop or click it from Places on my toolbar, it says "Could not display "gphoto2://[usb:002,019]/". The file is of an unknown type".

I already have gphoto2 and libgphoto2. My user has been in the camera group for a long time (restarted many times since then). I got gtkam, but scanning couldn't find my camera. It could detect the type, but couldn't find it.

When I do "gphoto2 --list-files", it gives me this error: http://pastebin.com/m29258066

When I try right clicking on the icon and unmounting, it gives me: "Unable to unmount Nikon Corp. NIKON DSC COOLPIX L20-PTP" and "DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Argument 0 is specified to be of type "s", but is actually of type "u"".

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

#2 2009-10-21 21:22:27

Declan

Re: Annoying problem with digital camera

bump? anyone?

#3 2009-10-21 21:49:16

hbekel

I don't know exactly how gnome handles those things. It seems to try to use gphoto to provide your camera's images, which is required only if your camera actually uses PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) over simple usb mass storage as the transfer method.

Check your camera settings. In my Nikon camera i can choose either "Mass Storage" or "PTP" under the settings menu entry for USB.

As long as your camera supports simple usb mass storage, I'd suggest you use it, and forget about PTP, which is a (somewhat) proprietary protocol that needs special support (gphoto2) for the simple task of downloading images (but otoh adds fancy stuff like remote control for (just) some cameras).

If you switch your camera to use mass storage, it's much more likely that it will just work, since all gnome (hal? I don't use that stuff) would have to do is mount it like any other usb mass storage device. No gphoto2 and no special protocols involved. Afaik Nikon supports both methods in most of their cameras.

Last edited by hbekel (2009-10-21 21:50:11)

#4 2009-10-24 01:48:23

Declan

I checked around all the menus for my camera, and unless I'm missing something, there is no usb mass storage option (there doesn't even seem to be a usb section).

What can I do?

#5 2009-10-24 07:43:22

hbekel

If your camera doesn't have any usb options, it's likely that Nikon uses usb mass storage (Since they aren't very fond of PTP in general, and prefer mass storage for their consumer models)... Looking at some online data sheets for your model, I haven't found PTP mentioned anywhere. What does dmesg say if you plug it in? Have you tried to just mount your camera?

#6 2009-10-24 23:58:07

Declan

Well, it seems to have mysteriously decided to start working, despite me not doing anything at all. Figures.

Board footer