You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-20 13:58:34

gnomegemini

Installation on Sil-Sata-Raid0 with dmraid (windows+linux)

Hello,
first off, I'm german speaking but the german forum hasn't so much experts to answer my questions :-(
Hopefully my english won't be so bad.

I'm working with linux for years also in hardware-raid environments. Now I want to install a linux on my home pc. I heard much about ArchLinux and want to try it.

I've a Sil3114 chipset raid controller. I set up a raid-0 system in controller bios an booted up the cd. After booting the netboot image and activating wireless network connection I want to install my Raid-Set.
First module loading:
# modprobe sata_sil dm_mod

Now there begins the trouble... I create 2 6GB partitions which results in an 12GB Raid-0 (normally). With
# dmraid -ay

I activate the raidset. But:
# dmraid -tay
sil_ajbgdccbagbj: 0 976771072 linear /dev/sdb 0
sil_ajbgdccbagbjp1: 0 12594897 linear /dev/mapper/sil_ajbgdccbagbj 63
say's I've an linear and not a stripped array set as I want. Unfortunately It seems the size is correct.

To check it I do a
# cfdisk /dev/mapper/sil_ajbgdccbagbjp1
and see there is only the size of 6448MB.

# fdisk -l
doesn'n detect any mapper device.

So something is going wrong but I don't know which detail I do not as I have to. The chipset is detected correct I think.

I hope someone can help me an give me any tips. I read through the fake root installation guide but I have to stop as soon as I check the size of the "raid-0" set which isn't corrent.

I want to have a linux/windows dualboot system.

If I partition the raid-0 system within windows linux (fdisk) doesn't recognize any partition on sdb instead it say's there is no partition table.

Thanks to anyone who try to help me :-)

#2 2009-12-08 11:37:42

loosec

Re: Installation on Sil-Sata-Raid0 with dmraid (windows+linux)

I'm confused by what you write.

It looks like you are trying to use dmraid for a setup with only one harddrive. Also you seem to be using two partitions instead of two harddrives.

This would in no way work as I see it. If you want to use partitions and stripe or mirror them you should use software based RAID. (md) If you want to dualboot Archlinux with some form of Windows you need to use dmraid. Then you also need to have more than one disk and you are required to set up the RAID array in your chipsets BIOS menu. The RAID BIOS MENU that is.

dmraid -tay shows a linear device since you are only displaying your /dev/sdb in a really weird way.

You probably have two HDDs since you have a /dev/sdb, you only have to use them both in a proper way.

You say you have worked with hardware RAID so if I've got this completely wrong I apologise for this explanation, otherwise I hope it helped clarify some very important facts.

Edit: When I wrote the original Fake-raid guide in our excellent wiki I used a Silicon Image 3112 Chipset. Also tested with a 3114 so it should work just fine for you.

Last edited by loosec (2009-12-08 11:42:51)

Board footer