You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 09:22:54

The Avatar of Time

Do open source drivers detect S-Video port on ATI X1200?

Hello All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 Laptop with an ATI "RS690M Radeon X1200 Series" graphics card (or rather my mother does...). I'm currently running Kubuntu 8.10 on it, but I really would like to get Arch64 back on it instead. I had to switch to Kubuntu because ATI dropped support for the X1200 card and the open source drivers wouldn't detect the S-Video port, which is a must, because she hooks it to the TV to watch movies.

I'm trying to find out whether or not the open source drivers will now detect and support the S-Video out (it's been quite a while since I last tried Arch on it). Or alternatively if proprietary support has returned, I had heard talk of that happening a while back (via a legacy driver), but to my knowledge there's still no way to use the proprietary driver on Arch. Is this correct?

The only way I know of to find out if the S-Video will work with the open source drivers is to reinstall Arch and try it. However, there's a lot of work that will need backed up first and she can't do without her computer for very long (which makes my job a bit tricky), so I was hoping to see if anyone with the same computer/video card knew the answer to this. I don't mean to come across as lazy, but it seems logical to me to see if someone knows before going through all the trouble again.

Thank you for any advice on this matter.

***I just found this:
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

It doesn't list "RS690M" (M is for 'Mobility'?). Any idea if "RS690" or "RS690 (RHD)" is referring to my card?

If mine is just the "RS690" then I 'may' be in luck. But if it's the "RS690 (RHD)" then it looks as though I'm out of luck for S-Video out support.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2009-10-21 09:34:50)

#2 2009-10-21 18:52:14

rogorido

Re: Do open source drivers detect S-Video port on ATI X1200?

The Avatar of Time wrote:

Hello All,

I'm trying to find out whether or not the open source drivers will now detect and support the S-Video out (it's been quite a while since I last tried Arch on it). Or alternatively if proprietary support has returned, I had heard talk of that happening a while back (via a legacy driver), but to my knowledge there's still no way to use the proprietary driver on Arch. Is this correct?

I have the same card. As far as I know, there is no prop support coming back. You have to use the free driver, which is getting better and better.

Sorry, but I have no experience wt S-output...

#3 2009-10-21 23:38:43

The Avatar of Time

Re: Do open source drivers detect S-Video port on ATI X1200?

rogorido wrote:
The Avatar of Time wrote:

Hello All,

I have the same card. As far as I know, there is no prop support coming back. You have to use the free driver, which is getting better and better.

Sorry, but I have no experience wt S-output...

Thanks for the reply. You're card doesn't have an S-Video out on it?

If you do have a port, could you run this in terminal:

xrandr

And post the results? Thanks. If not, that's anyway for the reply.

Before when I tried the open source drivers 'xrandr' wouldn't detect a port at all.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2009-10-21 23:41:35)

Board footer