You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 16:55:56

kaddy

is AUR really unreliable? or is it just me?

Hey archers

just a general question here...........

I been using arch for about a month now, and i like it lots. But im finding increasingly that AUR packages fail on me MOST of the time.... its probably about 50/50.......

and i've got All the dependencies I need to build packages as the wiki suggests...... base-devel  etc.........

I was just wondering as a general question how AUR is working for you?
Do you think that the advantage of an average user being able to upload packages to AUR is making it unreliable due to user error? I don't know how else to put it.....
But AUR is increasingly annoying me because it sometimes takes me about 10 packages of the same name to get one of them to install...... and alot of software i use isn't in the official repos.........

just want to hear your opinions on this matter?

cheers

ps. Yes I have tried Yaourt.....

#2 2009-10-21 17:05:04

firecat53
Website

Re: is AUR really unreliable? or is it just me?

I think a better bet might be to start threads with specific questions or problems for each package. I've been using Arch over a year now, and while I sometimes have trouble with a package (whether it be AUR or official!), in general it's fixed with a trip to the forums or the wiki, or simply waiting a few days for a bug to be squashed. I currently have 31 AUR packages installed...fyi smile

Scott

p.s. and I've used yaourt since my beginnings here....I love it.

#3 2009-10-21 17:10:15

wonder
Developer
Website

you might want to read the comments if you have problems with a package.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2009-10-21 17:12:01

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yeah, your enquiry is too general to generate any useful responses imo. If you can specify a particular error or sequence of errors that occur regardless of which package you're building, you might get some helpful advice about fixing your system. If, however, you are experience varying errors with different packages, they are most likely specific to the application being built, and should be raised either in a comment on the package's AUR page or on the aur-general mailing list.

#5 2009-10-21 18:45:06

jargoman

I find aur packages work 90+% of the time. I use yaourt for all aur packages.

Are you using a 64 bit system. Sometimes you need to add x86_64 to the ARCH variable in the package_build and it will compile properly.

#6 2009-10-21 18:50:36

Raws

I'm using Arch 64 for about 2 months and I rely HEAVILY on AURs packages (wine, acroread, Virtualbox, skype, Rainlendar, etc. come to mind). A use Yaourt and always search the most recent and voted packages. I would say about 90%-95% of the packages I use are flawlesly installed by Yaourt and, for the rest, I usually find quick solutions in the Wiki and Foruns. Until now, I didnt find any package that dont work and dont have an workaround.

#7 2009-10-21 19:50:25

Nezmer
Website

Nothing to add here.

Just wanted to say that LDFLAGS were added in /etc/makepkg.conf only lately . that caused some breakages and some maintainers didn't fix their PKGBUILDS yet . Actually , that holds true If you try building official PKGBUILDS from ABS .

Reporting error messages in bug reports or as comments will definitely speed up the process .

English is not my native language .

#8 2009-10-21 19:54:08

bender02

By the way, with most of the programs Raws mentions, the problem is with the license - arch is not allowed to distribute binaries.

#9 2009-10-21 22:28:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

/me thinks users should know how to use the AUR before using tools like yaourt...

And yes, the new makepkg would have broken quite a few packages.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2009-10-22 00:58:57

kaddy

Yes I know How to use AUR, I just like to use Yaourt most of the time because its convenient.
and just for the record guys... im not using the 64bit version.....
but thanx for the comments......

i'll post new threads of my individual packages that don't install........:P

#11 2009-10-22 05:36:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

As I already mentioned, issues with AUR packages are best discussed either in AUR comments or on the aur-general maiing list.

#12 2009-10-22 14:39:50

jargoman

I completely forget hot to use the AUR. Not sure if I ever knew how. I find that yaourt works flawlessly as long as you know how to use it properly and edit the package_builds if necessary.

#13 2009-10-22 15:26:22

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

99% of the AUR packages I build run fine (or build fine, at least).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#14 2009-10-22 15:44:50

ASOM

I've had a couple of packages fail from the AUR, one was my fault because I didn't sync pacman prior and could not download a dependency, the other was due to a broken download link. I find it to be about 90% reliable, but I do check the PKGBUILD just to be sure as I do know it is a an unofficial repo..

Board footer