You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 20:24:55

spikedies

Dolphin seems awfully crashhappy.

This might be more of a KDE problem than an Arch problem, but maybe someone has had the same experience.

I had been trying to use Dolphin for general file operations for a while when I first got Arch up and running, but after a few attempts, it became obvious that it was too unstable to rely on.  A good portion of the time, it would crash on startup, other times it would crash when switching devices or directories, and a few times it would crash in the middle of file transfers, which corrupted all data in the target directory.  This prompted me to just use Konsole for everything, which works flawlessly, if it is a little tedious at times.

Is this behaviour sort of inherent in Dolphin, or am I doing something wrong?  Is it known to be buggy/is there a GUI file manager alternative?

I used to use gnome's built in GUI file manager, and it worked without a hitch all the time, but when I switched to KDE (on a fresh format, btw), everything was fubar.

I'm not really looking for a solution, just evidence of passengers on my boat.

#2 2009-10-21 20:44:31

lucke

Re: Dolphin seems awfully crashhappy.

Never had any problems with dolphin.

#3 2009-10-21 20:47:55

jlacroix

I had the exact same problem, but the problem seems to have mysteriously fixed itself. At least, I don't think I did anything to fix it. After a few days it just worked fine.

#4 2009-10-21 21:01:51

FrozenFox
Website

See if konqueror has the same trouble. Run dolphin from konsole sometime and see if you can get it to crash again from there and post the error.

#5 2009-10-21 21:12:44

ozar

Try disabling Nepomuk because that's been stopping the crashes for most of those having them since KDE 4.3.2 came out.

oz

#6 2009-10-23 19:10:59

spikedies

Hmm, this forum moves rather quickly.  Thanks for the replies, and it seems like I was in a similar situation to jlacroix.  I was sure I had booted several times since I finished all of my tinkering around with system files, but for some reason, after booting a different partition and then returning to my Arch partition, I can't seem to replicate the problem.

It occasionally hangs for a few seconds, and I think it's going to blow, but it always recovers.

#7 2009-10-23 19:32:49

fsckd
Forum Fellow

What are you doing when it hangs?

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer