You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-22 22:02:33

permagreen

[SOLVED] HAL failing to start (this is different from the other thread

Hey, so HAL has been failing to start lately, which is a problem since I'm kind of fond of using my keyboard and mouse. When I run

hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

I get something that looks like this:

hald_dbus.c:(some number):dbus_bus_get(): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: no such file or directory

Before this happened one of my filesystems got corrupted somehow (I think a power surge might have had something to do with it) and I had never used fsck to repair a file system before, so I'm willing to admit that in my haste to get my computer working again, I inadvertantly deleted something fairly important.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Last edited by permagreen (2009-10-23 21:13:52)

#2 2009-10-22 22:21:57

grey

Re: [SOLVED] HAL failing to start (this is different from the other thread

Try to remove the session-bus information:

rm ~/.dbus/session-bus/*

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-10-22 22:46:42

permagreen

Nope, HAL still fails to start and still gives the same error message. Anyone know what the system_bus_socket is supposed to do and how I might get it back short of reinstalling the whole OS?

#4 2009-10-23 08:21:02

grey

That file should have been created by dbus. Try to restart dbus ($ /etc/rc.d/dbus restart).

There is almost certainly no need to reinstall just for this.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2009-10-23 09:22:35

zenlord
Website

What daemons do you start in rc.conf?

I had an error message every boot about a dbus-PID-file iirc until I removed dbus from my DAEMONS=()-line in rc.conf. If you put hal in there, dbus should be started automatically.

Last edited by zenlord (2009-10-23 09:22:47)

#6 2009-10-23 10:12:54

permagreen

Unfortunately this does not help with the problem either. Dbus starts up just fine, it's when HAL tries to call Dbus that things break down. At least, that's my understanding of what is going on.

#7 2009-10-23 10:35:32

grey

On my system stopping dbus deletes /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket, starting dbus creates it. Is that the same on your system? I have:

$ ls -al /var/run/dbus
insgesamt 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 dbus dbus 4096 23. Okt 11:36 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 23. Okt 11:36 ..
srwxrwxrwx  1 root root    0 23. Okt 11:36 system_bus_socket

So in your situation hal complains about /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket not exisiting, although at least when hal starts it does exist. Does hal delete it when starting?

#8 2009-10-23 21:01:03

permagreen

All right, I think we're getting somewhere. Running dbus-daemon --system did indeed create system_bus_socket and I no longer see that error upon running hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes.

Now I see a new error, which runs a little something like this:

[WARN 2972] polkit-error.c:143:polkit_error_get_error_message(): error != NULL

*** [DIE] hald.c:main():797 : Could not init PolicyKit context: (null)

And right before that is a message about being unable to open /proc/mdsstat on account of that not existed, but I'm not sure if that is related. I suspect this new error is the real reason why HAL fails to launch during startup as dbus always launches without a problem.

**EDIT: On a hunch, I decided to reinstall policy-kit and the problem appearsto be solved. Mouse, keyboard, and speakers all work beautifully. Time to mark this problem as [SOLVED] and get on with my life.

Last edited by permagreen (2009-10-23 21:09:31)

Board footer