You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-22 22:39:30

johnpatcher

cryptsetup doesn't ask me for a passphrase

Hi,

I' about to set up cryptsetup, so my whole system gets encrypted. Unfortunately I haven't done this in the beginning, but just after I have installed everything yikes.

However I managed to get the encryption working (I can open and mount my encrypted partition from the live cd), however I can't manage to mount them during the boot process.

In order to get access to my old system I've backed up all my files, and have put them back, right after the encryption was set up. I can now access my data through the live cd, so I have chrooted into my partition added encrypt to the hooks array of mkinitcpio.conf and recreated the image by calling "mkinitcpio -p kernel26", which worked just fine. I've also changed the boot menus, so the right partition gets booted.

During the boot process I should be asked for my passphrase, but there seems to be something wrong with it, as it only shows the following message: "A password is required to access the volume:". But instead of waiting for my input, it hangs in a loop, and just shows a error message saying:

/bin/cryptsetup: luksOpen: requires <device> <name> as arguments
Usage: cryptsetup [...]

It then repeats this message again and again, because it tries to unlock the device again and again, but without waiting for my input, so it must try to unlock it for its own, which doesn't work.

Has it to do something with boot parameters, which are basically looking the following:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 cryptdevice=/dev/sda3 root=/dev/mapper/root
initrd /kernel26.img

What can I do? How can I tell the box to wait for my input, and not to try to unlock it for itself.

Best regards,
johnpatcher

Last edited by johnpatcher (2009-10-22 22:39:49)

#2 2009-10-23 03:26:32

zyghom
Website

Re: cryptsetup doesn't ask me for a passphrase

let me show you my config:
/dev/sda2 is my encrypted root
/dev/sda5 is my unencrypted boot

then menu.lst is:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux hda2 nmi_watchdog=0 
root   (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet  vga=773 nmi_watchdog=0 
initrd /kernel26.img

and in my

grep -v '#' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES="pata_acpi ata_generic scsi_mod ata_piix"
BINARIES=""
HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata usb usbinput keymap encrypt filesystems"

and it works perfectly

Last edited by zyghom (2009-10-23 03:26:54)

Zygfryd Homonto

#3 2009-10-23 13:45:44

johnpatcher

Re: cryptsetup doesn't ask me for a passphrase

By looking at your configuration I see the mistake: I have forgotten to add the usbinput (and keymap) hook, therefore the system doesn't recognize my keyboard wink. Thanks!

Board footer