You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-23 01:38:44

brando56894

[Embarassingly Solved By Myself] Installing HP Printer

I haven't had trouble with connecting a printer in awhile (mostly because I havent used my printer in about 9 months) but Ive been trying to get it to work for the past few days and cups acts like everything works correctly but a page never gets printed. Thinking that the problem may have been my tweaked rc.conf i replaced it with the original one and rebooted, in the print manager it showed that a job was queued (since I had just sent one before) and it wouldnt let me do anything with it.

I decided to remove the printer config and reinstall it. Using KDE system settings to install it is slightly confusing (compared to the one in 3.5 atleast) since it only offers the options of new network printer and new printer class under the New Printer group and my printer is connected via usb. I found out before that clicking on the new network printer allowed me to install a local printer but now I cant remember how I did it. Under new network printer I have the following groups: CUPS-PDF,AppSocket/HP JetDirect, Internet Printing Protocol,LPD/LPR Host or Printer, Windows Printer via SAMBA, and other. I have no idea which one to use.

I looked up cups in the wiki and it suggests that you use the web interface to config cups so I tried that also and under adding printers or classes I selected add printer and selected HP Printer (HPLIP) under local printer then hit continue. In the connection field it says "hp" and if I hit continue it doesnt do anything. Im assuming it wants the address of the printer (I remember seeing it before as usb://[address]) but I have no idea what it is.

Last edited by brando56894 (2009-10-26 21:41:31)

#2 2009-10-23 07:57:59

miau

Re: [Embarassingly Solved By Myself] Installing HP Printer

#3 2009-10-23 22:25:48

brando56894

Yea usblp never was in my modules array and the cupsd.conf was a current one for 1.4 since this was the first time ive used cups since ive reinstalled, just to be sure I copied the default config to cupsd.conf and the same problems still arise.

#4 2009-10-23 22:28:59

grey

Could you still try "lsmod | grep usblp" just to make sure that usblp is not loaded.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2009-10-24 00:11:49

brando56894

Like I said before, its not loaded big_smile

[bran@ra /etc/cups]$ lsmod|grep usblp
[bran@ra /etc/cups]$

#6 2009-10-24 06:20:26

grey

OK. I wasn't sure, because blacklisting != not loading explicitly. Have you tried this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cup … CUPS_1.4.x ? It solved the problem for me and several others.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#7 2009-10-24 08:02:09

vacant

I was installing an Epson RX560 yesterday.

I had usblp blacklisted and plugging in the usb printer showed up in dmesg. Cups (web interface on localhost:631) didn't pick up the "local" printer. I noticed that a new device node was created "/dev/usb/lp0" and also a link to that device "/dev/usblp0".

ln -s /dev/usb/lp0 /dev/lp0

When I made a link to lp0, cups spotted it as a local printed which I was able to add. I then stopped cups, edited /etc/cups/printers.conf and changed the link from lp0 to usblp0, and restarted cups.

DeviceURI parallel:/dev/usblp0

#8 2009-10-24 17:07:16

brando56894

mine doesnt even show up in dmesg when I turn it on, nor is it in /dev/usb. I probably should have mentioned this before but its an HP All In One Deskjet 1610.

heres my complete lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by                                                                                                                                 
ipv6                  338528  22                                                                                                                                      
it87                   28056  0                                                                                                                                       
hwmon_vid               3872  1 it87                                                                                                                                  
vhba                   10816  1                                                                                                                                       
loop                   19948  0                                                                                                                                       
fuse                   74944  6                                                                                                                                       
nvidia              10324072  0                                                                                                                                       
snd_seq_dummy           3588  0                                                                                                                                       
snd_seq_oss            36320  0                                                                                                                                       
snd_seq_midi_event      8640  1 snd_seq_oss                                                                                                                           
snd_seq                64768  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event                                                                                          
snd_seq_device          8372  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq                                                                                                     
hid_logitech           11744  0                                                                                                                                       
ff_memless              6632  1 hid_logitech                                                                                                                          
nouveau               668412  0                                                                                                                                       
ttm                    50912  1 nouveau                                                                                                                               
drm_kms_helper         30176  1 nouveau                                                                                                                               
drm                   198272  3 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper                                                                                                            
i2c_algo_bit            6980  1 nouveau                                                                                                                               
fan                     5704  0                                                                                                                                       
wmi                     8000  0                                                                                                                                       
battery                13896  0                                                                                                                                       
joydev                 13376  0                                                                                                                                       
thermal                17760  0                                                                                                                                       
ac                      5640  0                                                                                                                                       
processor              42364  0                                                                                                                                       
button                  7264  0                                                                                                                                       
usbhid                 47968  1 hid_logitech                                                                                                                          
hid                    52608  2 hid_logitech,usbhid                                                                                                                   
snd_hda_codec_realtek   286788  1                                                                                                                                     
ide_cd_mod             33224  0                                                                                                                                       
sr_mod                 19556  0                                                                                                                                       
cdrom                  41320  2 ide_cd_mod,sr_mod                                                                                                                     
amd64_edac_mod         23240  0                                                                                                                                       
edac_core              51660  1 amd64_edac_mod                                                                                                                        
snd_hda_intel          32232  4                                                                                                                                       
k8temp                  5760  0                                                                                                                                       
snd_hda_codec          83168  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel                                                                                                   
sg                     33664  0                                                                                                                                       
snd_pcm                91784  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec                                                                                                           
snd_timer              25424  3 snd_seq,snd_pcm                                                                                                                       
snd_page_alloc         10832  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm                                                                                                                 
pcspkr                  3296  0                                                                                                                                       
serio_raw               7268  0                                                                                                                                       
evdev                  13024  12                                                                                                                                      
r8169                  41348  0                                                                                                                                       
mii                     5856  1 r8169                                                                                                                                 
snd_hwdep              10056  1 snd_hda_codec                                                                                                                         
snd_mixer_oss          21024  0                                                                                                                                       
snd                    77224  16 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep,snd_mixer_oss       
soundcore               8768  1 snd                                                                                                                                   
slhc                    6624  0                                                                                                                                       
forcedeth              64012  0                                                                                                                                       
rtc_cmos               13756  0                                                                                                                                       
rtc_core               22116  1 rtc_cmos                                                                                                                              
rtc_lib                 3168  1 rtc_core                                                                                                                              
ext4                  361960  1                                                                                                                                       
mbcache                 9028  1 ext4                                                                                                                                  
jbd2                   97344  1 ext4
crc16                   2144  1 ext4
ohci_hcd               27132  0
ehci_hcd               41808  0
usbcore               183764  4 usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
ahci                   44080  4
i2c_piix4              11536  0
i2c_core               25664  5 nvidia,nouveau,drm,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_piix4
pata_atiixp             6368  0
atiixp                  4644  0
ide_core              120576  2 ide_cd_mod,atiixp
pata_acpi               5824  0
ata_generic             6244  0
libata                193612  4 ahci,pata_atiixp,pata_acpi,ata_generic
sd_mod                 31848  7
scsi_mod              133528  5 vhba,sr_mod,sg,libata,sd_mod

Edit: I booted into another install of Chakra that I have that I was using for testing stuff and its pretty clean compared to my other install. I noticed these errors appeared in both of the dmesg logs:

Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 178507
sr 5:0:0:0: [sr1] Unhandled sense code
sr 5:0:0:0: [sr1] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 5:0:0:0: [sr1] Sense Key : 0x3 [current]
sr 5:0:0:0: [sr1] ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x5
end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 1428056
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 178507

Could this be the printer?

This install of chakra has cups 1.3.11 installed and it cant find the printer either nor can kde systemsettings.

Edit 2: I was going to try and test it out in windows 7 to see if it works but I cant install the drivers since they are for the offical release version (build 7600) and Im still running RC1 (build 7100)

Last edited by brando56894 (2009-10-24 18:16:32)

#9 2009-10-26 11:03:11

grey

If cups 1.3.11 cannot find your printer either, then the wiki instructions are pretty much worthless. Instead of windows 7 you could try a ubuntu 9.04 live CD. In my experience ubuntu is quite good at automatically detecting and installing printers. Also, 9.04 comes with the same cups version as chakra, so you don't have to deal with anything introduced by the latest cups upgrade.

#10 2009-10-26 21:40:24

brando56894

Wow I really feel like a smacked @$$ now, want to know the reason why the printer didnt show up after my initial attempt to install it? I never reconnected the usb cable to my computer!

After I connected it and ran dmesg|tail and got this:

[bran@ra ~]$ dmesg|tail
usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb-storage: device found at 5
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usblp1: USB Bidirectional printer dev 5 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x4811
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access     HP       PSC 1610         1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 4:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg4 type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
sd 4:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk

Ran lsmod and saw that usblp was loaded so I blacklisted it in rc.conf and unloaded it manually, went to the cups webpage and added it (it actually appeared in the list twice this time instead of not at all!) with no problems at all, even ran a test page and it worked like a charm.

This one will definitely get added to the list of embarassing computer problems! lol

Board footer