You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-23 03:56:39

theangler

Windows then Slackware, tried Ubuntu, now arch?

Hey everyone.  Just figured I'd share my story to see if you guys think that I'm a fit for Arch.  So I'm 23 years old.  Grew up using windows (well dos really if you think about it, oregon trail on a REAL floppy WAS great).  Anyways I went to school in 04 for computer science having some programming experience, web design, flash, etc.  I stayed for 2.5 years in the computer science program and now am in between.  I started using linux about 3 years ago.  I started using redhat, then slackware which is pretty much where i stayed for a while.  About a month ago I finally tried something new a guy at work suggested (ubuntu).  I'd heard about it but finally decided to try it and I must say that the package management with dependency checking is AMAZING.  I can no longer tolerate spending hours upon hours compiling different programs / dependencies to get one program running.  Apt-get is pretty great.  This being said, I love slackware.  Everything is fully customizable (ubuntu doesn't use KDE by default either WTF).  Anyways after reading a few things, it seems like Archlinux might be my calling, a sort of union between slackware and ubuntu.  How do you guys feel about this?  Am I on to something?

P.S. I tried installing arch on my desktop which is connected via wireless g only.  I have a d-link wda2320 for which I use madwifi.  I downloaded the core iso.  Any tips?   I want a gui going.

#2 2009-10-23 04:07:17

sHyLoCk

Re: Windows then Slackware, tried Ubuntu, now arch?

only tip: Read the beginner's guide in wiki.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-10-23 04:20:54

Acecero

and look at the Xorg wiki page for a more in depth setup for X.

#4 2009-10-23 04:22:37

ASOM

#5 2009-10-23 04:28:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Basically, as everyone has said, read-the-fine-wiki. Its seriously everything a new user needs (assuming basic linux knowledge, which you seem to have).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-10-23 04:32:40

sHyLoCk

Also you may want to buy ArchLinux handbook for fast and easy "setup as you read".
I should be in advertisement. tongue

~ Regards,
sHy

#7 2009-10-23 04:58:24

Acecero

sHyLoCk wrote:

Also you may want to buy ArchLinux handbook for fast and easy "setup as you read".

You could help Dusty, he sold over 50 already. Advertise in your blog e.g.

Last edited by Acecero (2009-10-23 05:00:12)

#8 2009-10-23 05:44:18

sHyLoCk

Acecero wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

You could help Dusty, he sold over 50 already. Advertise in your blog e.g.

Should have thought about it earlier, done.

~ Regards,
sHy

Board footer