You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-23 10:13:39

StanIsTheMan

Best way to update through testing repo

As I am finding out, there are certain limitations to pacman. I enabled the testing repo to try out xorg 1.7, and to see if this could help with my X delay at startup. I enabled the repo and installed xorg, gcc, and among other packages. My problem is, I dont want the testing repo enabled by default. So I comment out testing from my pacman.conf, and now I cannot upgrade without dependency errors.

Should I have used the ABS to install xorg 1.7...? Now I would like to disable the testing repo and be able to still sync and upgrade as normal. Am I missing something here...? Since I upgraded all packages from the testing repo, and now all my revisions are newer, and when I disable the repo to prevent any other updates, I am now unable to upgrade normally...  So... what is the best way to upgrade through the testing repo..?

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-10-23 10:15:00)

#2 2009-10-23 10:17:41

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Best way to update through testing repo

You can revert all packages to versions in [core]/[extra] by using "pacman -Suu".  Otherwise, you need to wait for these to move out of [testing].

What problems are you observing?

#3 2009-10-23 10:38:18

StanIsTheMan

Allan wrote:

You can revert all packages to versions in [core]/[extra] by using "pacman -Suu".  Otherwise, you need to wait for these to move out of [testing].

What problems are you observing?

I didn't necessarily want to downgrade all of the packages I upgraded through the testing repo. It was after upgrading the packages from the testing repo, and then commenting out the "testing"  in pacman.conf, and then trying a normal 'pacman -Su'. I was then receiving errors on dependencies that were not met, and was refusing an upgrade. (which i can understand, since the testing db is being ignored, and the revision numbers are different and would cause conflicts)

I have reverted back to the earlier versions from the upgrade with a 'pacman -Suu'  Now what is the proper way to upgrade just xorg..? Should I use the ABS..? I dont want to enable the testing repo, because if I do, It wants to pull in all of the testing branch that I dont want. So really my original question is... What is the bet way, or proper way to upgrade a package from the testing branch...?

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-10-23 10:40:00)

#4 2009-10-23 10:56:43

blasse

Maybe enable testing, than pacman -S xorg-server (that should also install all needed dependencies) and then disable testing? It should work better than updating whole system with testing enabled and then disabling it...

Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

#5 2009-10-23 11:21:28

Allan
Pacman
Website

StanIsTheMan wrote:

I was then receiving errors on dependencies that were not met, and was refusing an upgrade. (which i can understand, since the testing db is being ignored, and the revision numbers are different and would cause conflicts)

I would like to see exact error messages, purely out of interest to understand what is going on.

I have reverted back to the earlier versions from the upgrade with a 'pacman -Suu'  Now what is the proper way to upgrade just xorg..? Should I use the ABS..? I dont want to enable the testing repo, because if I do, It wants to pull in all of the testing branch that I dont want. So really my original question is... What is the bet way, or proper way to upgrade a package from the testing branch...?

There is no proper way.  Using [testing] is an all or none decision, otherwise you are on your own.

Board footer