You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-24 02:53:37

JohnnyRogers

[SOLVED] AutoStarting Compiz

I got Arch running, following the beginners guide on the wiki, got Gnome up, and installed Compiz. I followed the Autostart (no Fusion-icon) instructions, but then realized that because I have an Intel 945 graphics chip that I need a complex command to run Compiz.

The problem is that the vanilla compiz command (per the wiki) is still active, and every time I login I have no title bars and some other odd behavior. When I run the proper command everything is fine, but I'd like to solve this problem.

Here's what I've tried:

I made a script to run the command and put it in the startup applications. I suspect it's working for a second (my mouse theme comes up for just a bit) before the desktop fully loads, but for all I know it's not running properly. The script runs from the terminal fine manually.

I tried editing the "Exec=compiz" in /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop specified in the wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … on.22.29_2) to the proper command, but no change.

I also tried to undo the gconftool commands (on the wiki) by changing the "compiz"s to "metacity"s. This had no visible effect.

I would greatly appreciate any help in troubleshooting this, as I'm not sure where the problem is coming from, but  I suspect the bad compiz autostart overriding my startup script. I tried adding a "sleep" to the start of the script, but no dice. My google-fu is coming up empty, and I didn't see any relevant posts on the forum here.

Last edited by JohnnyRogers (2009-11-07 21:18:25)

#2 2009-10-24 03:24:24

eldragon

Re: [SOLVED] AutoStarting Compiz

just edit /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop

and replace the line

Exec=compiz

with

Exec=compiz ccp

that did it for me (same chipset)...

for the record, now with intel graphics, you are forced to use UXA and thus, there are no extra options needed (indirect rendering or else...)

#3 2009-10-24 03:27:33

some-guy94

Install compiz-manager and reaplace Exec=compiz with Exec=compiz-manager

#4 2009-10-24 15:10:09

JohnnyRogers

Install compiz-manager and reaplace Exec=compiz with Exec=compiz-manager

This did it, thanks!

I tried the compiz ccp command, but I still got the no title bar effect, even after running emerald --replace. I have no idea what's going on (I'm really quite the noob).

Board footer