You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-26 04:19:07

cprice

Geforce 6150 driver and KDE base

Hello...night two of outfitting my laptops with Arch.  Last night went fine - installed arch on one laptop with the base kde and everything is running smooth.  This evening I began the voyage on my second laptop.  This is where things have started to go awry.

First, this laptop has the Gefore Go 6150 video chipset.  I tried installing both the nvidia and nvidia-96xx drivers.  nvidia driver did not work at all.  nvidia-96xx driver somewhat worked.  I was able to get to the xterm during install - mouse and keyboard worked - but after exiting xterm my screen would flicker and sway until I rebooted.  With the 96xx driver I was able to log into my DE but the resolution was defaulted to 800x600 and KDE was terribly slow.  What driver have others used?  I have come to find out by searching the forums this chipset has given others trouble also.

Also, I installed kdebase-workspace on this laptop, but unlike the laptop the previous night, this KDE environment is completely stripped.  I don't even have a terminal let alone konqueror, which was installed the previous night.  There were no errors during installation.  I am just guessing that it didn't compile correctly.  I chalked this install up as a loss and began installing again.  Once I find a suitable driver for the nvidia card I will once again embark on another journey of (ahem) "mastering" my archbox.  roll

#2 2009-10-26 20:02:26

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Geforce 6150 driver and KDE base

There is a know problem with mobile cards and the stable nvidia drivers. Try nvidia-beta from aur.

Edit: for your second issue, you probably want to install more than just kde-workspace. See the KDE wiki page, and the KDE packages wiki page.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-10-26 20:03:57)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-10-27 00:10:33

cprice

I will install the entire KDE but what I dont understand is that the kdebase that I installed the night previous came with a terminal and konqueror.  Anyway - not a problem. 

One question though - and I pretty sure I know the answer I just havent had time to search the forums yet - but I am assuming that I can download the nvidia-beta to a flash drive and install from there.  Or even better can I just strip in from AUR using pacman?

very respectfully!

#4 2009-10-27 00:33:29

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer