You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-26 13:04:53

handy

Anyone use DJL for managing games on Arch?

I just discovered that DJL exists, let alone in AUR, so I installed it & it loads & looks fine, I haven't attempted to use it to install, run or uninstall any games yet as I'm off to bed. smile

Anyone here had any experience with this Steam inspired software?

http://en.djl-linux.org/

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2009-10-26 19:46:54

Gallaecio
Website

Re: Anyone use DJL for managing games on Arch?

I've used it. In fact, I translated it into Galician. Thanks to this app I could finally play the popular Yo Frankie from the Blender Team, but I also have to say that it hasn't been udated for months (maybe because it's already quite good).

The thing is I've not used it for some time. But it is installed. I prefer installing games from pacman (Shaman, aactually), but I like having an app to manage them (at least with links to all them). Maybe I give it a try again. But since I start everything from Krunner, and I have no time to chat through the DJL's IRC channel, it makes no sense.

All in all: really good app.

#3 2009-10-26 23:46:51

handy

Apparently there has been a very recent update to DJL.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#4 2009-10-27 14:00:33

Gallaecio
Website

O.O S***, I follow them through the RSS, but they don't post anything about the updated sad

I though they were still in the 1.2.15, and they are in the 1.2.20!  lol

Last edited by Gallaecio (2009-10-27 14:01:41)

#5 2009-10-27 15:10:36

Gallaecio
Website

By ythe way, the djl PKGBUILD is maintained by Diablo150, djl original author, so I guess he also uses it smile

#6 2009-10-27 19:57:23

handy

Interesting that Diablo150 manages the package. smile

I did some installing with DJL last night.  I only installed fairly simple games, though I did move into a couple that won't run because they need OpenGL & as I write this I'm still using the open-source ATi drivers.

One early installation required me to close the error dialogue 27 times as it sourced & installed that many dependencies into the .djl/libs/ .  That was a bit tedious.

When I uninstalled the game that required those dependencies, it did so very cleanly & quickly leaving the dependencies in .djl/libs/ which is a good thing for future installs.

A couple of games had me install (via pacman) both openal & pygame, which is fine.

One file that BZFlag wanted that I haven't been able to find is libXi.so.6 ?

Anyway, after the early game that had me loading up with 27 files for .djl/libs/ there haven't been any others that need more than a couple, mostly none at all, though I've only installed 8 as of this writing.

I like the self contained aspect of DJL.  I can see me putting it on a partition away from / & /home & also being able to backup the entire .djl/ to my FreeNAS box, so the time spent installing & getting my .djl/ just how I like it can be preserved.

Last edited by handy (2009-10-27 20:00:58)

I'm over it!

#7 2009-10-27 20:15:00

Gallaecio
Website

As I told you, I install games directly from Shaman (a pacman GUI) or Pacman itself. There are many reasons, but the main: I think it can be more confortable.

But if youu do want to use DJL (which is normal, it was originally concibed for that reason), maybe you should have a look at game dependencies in repositories or even in AUR, so you know what do you need to have installed in your system so games works.

#8 2009-10-27 20:23:24

handy

I'm probably having more fun playing around with DJL, than I will with most of the games I'm installing. smile

I'll find a few that I'll end up keeping & spending some hours on from time to time I'm sure.

Checking AUR for dependencies is a good idea, thanks.

As I said in previous post, I like the idea of having most game specific dependencies all kept in the same place, it makes it easier for me to back them up.

I'm over it!

#9 2009-10-27 20:32:00

Gallaecio
Website

Indeed, it's a good tool to centralize videogames in the system, and make them portables somehow. And one good reason for installing DJL is the one you mentioned, because you can find out a lot of videogames through the app that probably you didn't know that they exist before. I'll recover DJL, at least to manage my game links and be aware of DJL updates. Thanks for the info about its recent update, I though they had stopped working on the project.

#10 2009-10-27 20:40:47

handy

I just had a look in the repo's & BZFlag doesn't need the dependency libXi.so.6 ?

When I try to run BZFlag from the DJL interface I end up in an endless loop of closing the error window which is basically telling me it will try to download the libXi.so.6 file & the Stderr output window.

After which I have to use htop to kill DJL.

I'll post the error at the DJL forum when I finally get emailed my initial registration code...

[Edit:] Yes you are right Gallaecio, it is also good to see a list of so many games, most of which I wouldn't even know exist. smile

Last edited by handy (2009-10-27 21:04:44)

I'm over it!

#11 2009-10-29 03:36:22

handy

I installed the catalyst packages & then some large 3D games.

DJL worked quite well, though Glest was installed in /opt/glest/ & after moving it to ~/.djl/jeux/glest/ it won't run from there via DJL, or from the Terminal, but it will start if I run it from Worker (the dirutil) ?

Anyway, when I do finally get access to the DJL forum, I have a few bug reports to post.

Somehow, I don't think my registration went through their system...

I'm over it!

#12 2009-10-29 05:51:49

Gallaecio
Website

Maybe it just take its time to get you registered, or it has to be aproved by someone who is bussy right now.

#13 2009-10-29 06:45:25

handy

I reregistered today, & as yet still haven't received a reply?

It isn't easy to contact them from their site either.

I'll get there in the end. smile

I do have some things to contribute though.

[Edit:]
Just revisited the forum, found I could ask to have my activation code resent.  Which it told me it just did.  Though it hasn't arrived yet. lol

Last edited by handy (2009-10-29 06:49:27)

I'm over it!

#14 2009-10-30 04:25:06

handy

I still have not received a confirmation code for my registration at the http://forum.djl-linux.org/ site?

I have posted a comment to Diablo150 who maintains the DJL package in AUR, explaining the situation.  As I am running out of ways to get forum access, & I do have a few bugs to report, one in particular is quite annoying & I expect that it could be easily fixed.

It makes it hard to grow the DJL community when the forum registration system is broken & there is no link that I can find to post comments to the site administration.

[Edit:] I guess I'm just going to have to keep my eye on the DJL chat system until I spot one of the admin's from the forum there & have a chat with them.

Last edited by handy (2009-10-30 04:41:57)

I'm over it!

#15 2009-10-30 05:42:53

Gallaecio
Website

Good idea.

#16 2009-10-31 05:18:11

handy

I just attempted to send emails to:

diablo150_@_djl-linux_._org

&

lululaglue_@_jeuxlinux_._fr

Two addresses I found on the DJL site.

Both returned failure notifications.

Unfortunately,  it looks like the team has got tired of supporting DJL?

Even the DJL package that is administered by Diablo150 is out of date.

Bit of a bummer really.  I think that DJL potentially has a big future in Linux.

Anyway, I can understand that when there are too few people to do the work things get dropped... sad

I'm over it!

#17 2009-10-31 08:35:18

Gallaecio
Website

I talk to Diablo last evening through the IRC in the app. I can tell you they're not tired of supporting the app. We was just trying to find out why another person in the IRC was not able to install some games, and he say eh would investigate it.

About the e-mails, did you removed the "_"? I'm nearly sure I sent Galician translations to diablo150 AT djl-linux DOT org.

About the PKGBUILD, Diablo told me he wasent ablñe to upload the latest version, althgough I forget asking why because we was trying to find out the reason for that guy not to being ablñe to install some games.

So, don't worry. I though DJL was dead, but since you tell me there had been more releases not posted in the RSS, now I'm sure it will has a long life. smile

#18 2009-10-31 09:44:09

handy

Thanks for that very welcome info', I'll continue the pursuit of communication with them, with renewed vigour now. smile

[Edit:] I just sent an email to Diablo150, which looks to have got through. 

You picked it - I did leave the "_" in the email address.  doh!

After all of these years I would have thought I should be used to it, but once again I have managed to surprise myself with my own stupidity.  roll

Last edited by handy (2009-10-31 10:08:17)

I'm over it!

#19 2009-10-31 10:23:04

Gallaecio
Website

It's not like I've never done such a thing. Why do you think I noticed you had done it? wink

#20 2009-10-31 11:05:32

handy

Gallaecio wrote:

It's not like I've never done such a thing. Why do you think I noticed you had done it? wink

Thanks smile

I'm over it!

#21 2010-08-22 22:06:52

Tux the penguin

I like DJL. I was also able to finally install yo frankie.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

Board footer