You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-27 15:12:52

mcsaba77

sdl-pulse (AUR) vs pulse + some pulse related questions

Hello everyone. I've been using Arch for over a month now, and I'm very very satisfied smile No more distro hopping, everything works as expected, except sdl from extra. I still have issues with sound in wesnoth with sdl 1.2.14-1. Sometimes (well, actually quite often) sound begins to stutter while playing, then it dies. In these instances I'm unable to quit the game, have to kill it (with -9) from a console.

Decided to try out sdl-pulse from AUR. Was hesitant at first because I read that in the latest version issues with pulse were solved, patches merged, etc... This doesn't seem to be the case. Sdl-pulse from AUR works without any problems, while pulse from extra most definitely does not, on my system at least. So my question is this: will sdl-pulse be removed from AUR now that it's flagged out of date? I hope not (I know I can still use it) because apparently fedora's patches seem to be better than the official release.

On a side note, what's your experience with pulse? I had to install a couple of packages from AUR to get everything working. Notably xine-lib-pulse (for KDE recognized pulse only after installing this), mplayer-pulse, bin32-skype-pulse and libflashsupport-pulse. Now everything works perfectly, can play flash in a browser while listening to music and watching video with sound in mplayer, skype works too (this was basically my goal). Now that every distro seems to be moving towards pulse, will pulse be better supported (from official repos) in the near future? I mean, is there any drawback to shipping mplayer with pulse support by default? If I understand it correctly, mplayer compiled with pulse support will work fine on pulse-less systems... No difference, right? What about the other packages (xine, flash, etc.)?

#2 2009-10-28 03:04:24

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: sdl-pulse (AUR) vs pulse + some pulse related questions

I gave pulse a shot recently. It works remarkably well _if_ you have everything setup right.

But so does alsa.

Board footer