You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-27 20:14:18

madeye
Website

[SOLVED] urxvt not using locale

Help! I am stuck here.
For the life of me I cannot find a reason why urxvt won't use my locale.

Output of locale

LANG=en_DK.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_DK.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_DK.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_DK.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_DK.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_DK.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_DK.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_DK.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_DK.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_DK.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_DK.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Output of locale -a

C
POSIX
en_DK
en_DK.iso88591
en_DK.utf8
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8

Whenever I try to start urxvt from a(nother) terminal I get

urxvt: the locale is not supported by Xlib, working without locale support.

I have tried using both en_DK.utf8 and en_US.utf8. Neither works for me. (I would prefer en_DK.utf8)
If I set the locale to C, then I don't get the error message. However I also don't get the filenames displayed correctly then. sad

Anyone know what I can do?

I am using lxde with openbox. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I have spend the last 4 hours looking for a solution to this. Google turns up a lot of results, but they all (more or less) just tell me to make sure my locale is correct!? The word frustrating comes to mind roll

EDIT: Somehow urxvt is using my locale for showing the files correctly, but not for input from the keyboard. The keys that normally produce æ, ø and å (danish chars) just doesn't do anything at all?

EDIT2: Just in case someone stumbles upon this, here is what I decided to do. I didn't exactly solve the problem, but found another terminal to use instead.

What I actually was trying to do was getting yeahconsole to work. I really liked using yakuake in kde, but after deciding to use lxde didn't want to pull in the complete QT library. yeahconsole however which is actually a wrapper for xterm/urxvt didn't want to behave the way I wanted it to. Well the truth is urxvt didn't want to work the way I wanted it to smile
Fortunately for my nerves I found another quake like terminal called stjerm. This one works great (until now...). It has tabs and recognizes my locale setting. It's not in the official repos, but is easily installed from AUR. cool

EDIT3: OK. This is kind of annoying. Now I don't need the solution any more and of course now I have found it hmm

To make urxvt use my locale correctly I must set it as follows: (note the LC_CTYPE setting)

LANG=en_DK.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_DK.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_DK.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_DK.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_DK.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_DK.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_DK.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_DK.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_DK.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_DK.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_DK.utf8"
LC_ALL=

I mark this topic as solved.

Last edited by madeye (2009-10-31 21:21:06)

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

Board footer