You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-28 13:12:36

netawater

[SOLVED]Install kernel failed and how can I repair my system.

In order to get suspend function, I try to compile a new kernel, I used the second method in http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ker … rom_Source with makepkg and pacman. I download 2.6.31 kernel and makepkg is OK, but pacman tell me /lib/***(lots of
files name) can not be overwritten. I'm not very happy, what make matter worse, I reboot my
system, it seems it lost some modules, it do not mount ext4 partition and can not find Ethernet.

I have lots of data in this system, I could not erase the hard disk and  re-install the whole system. Is there a good way to repair my system?

my system have 5 partitions: /,/boot,/usr, /home, /var, I hope these partition can be all reserved as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by netawater (2013-06-14 00:48:56)

#2 2009-10-28 13:41:53

perbh

Re: [SOLVED]Install kernel failed and how can I repair my system.

First off - you should _never_ use the default name when rolling your own kernel, _always_ give it a unique name! (this way, you can always go back to your previous, working kernel/modules) - by the way - have you tried booting the fallback kernel?

One safe way of keeping your own data - boot from a live cd/usb stick without involving the current OS at all. Then use an external usb-drive (hey - these days you can buy a 1TB usb drive for less than 100 bucks - it's a no-brainer!) and copy all the data you are concerned about to the usb-drive.

Once that is done you can start experimenting - or just plain and simple reinstall or try to reinstall the original kernel. If some of your partitions wont mount (private data), then remake to ext3 _after_ having backed it all up.

I have not looked at the wiki, but I'm sure there is some warning about kernel naming - at least I _know_ that subject has been discussed in this forum.

#3 2009-10-28 14:43:38

hokasch

There is a good explanation on how to reinstall a working kernel in the wiki: Kernel Panics

#4 2009-10-28 15:04:06

grey

For the liveCD that perbh mentioned I recommend SystemRescueCD. It's fairly lightweight (around 235 MB) and it contains both fsarchiver and partimage for backing up your partitions.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2009-10-29 01:09:04

netawater

Thank you!

it is only pacman failed, I can boot my original kernel but it do not get some modules, like ext4 and Ethernet so it can not mount ext4 partition and I can not go internet.

I have used these independent partitions so that I can reserve my date as far as possible when I reinstall my system. I do not want to backup large data and application into my udisk(it is small).

Board footer