You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-29 04:31:10

kleptophobiac

[new] mythtv

I am almost done making a mythtv package.

Just wanted to let people know so they don't go doing the same thing.

I do caution however, that the standard gcc 3.4.3 causes mythtv to be somewhat unstable. It will segfault when switching between modes... but it does have rudimentary function. You can watch TV, you can watch a recording, but if you switch between them it crashes.

I hope the authors fix the problems with new GCC versions in their next release.

EDIT:
Should I make different versions for xvmc and lirc?

EDIT:
mythdvd and mythvideo are next up on my list

#2 2004-12-01 02:55:53

kleptophobiac

Re: [new] mythtv

I have a preliminary working package!!! woohoo!

It still lacks a graceful installer, but at least outputs some rudimentary directions on how to proceed. There are probably bugs in this version, considering it is a first release from a newbie package maker.

Does anybody have some space where I can post the actual package file? I'll post up the PKGBUILD and related files in about twenty minutes... at least they're small.

EDIT:
I'll do it in the morning, I'm sick of waiting for this to finish building. smile

#3 2004-12-01 03:30:10

aCoder
Website

About time someone got it working!  If you E-Mail it to me, I'll host it on conveyableflow.com.  I don't have a repository set up, however, but it's easy enough just to download it and --add it.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#4 2004-12-01 20:50:37

kleptophobiac

I'm unable to email it due to its size. It is about 15MB.

Is there an FTP I can dump it on, or a shell account I can scp it to, etc...?

#5 2004-12-01 21:06:17

aCoder
Website

E-Mail me something, and I'll reply with info for an SSH account.

edit:  Or, you could just post the PKGBUILD.  How long could it really take to build?

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#6 2004-12-01 21:39:00

kleptophobiac

There's more than just the PKGBUILD. I have a rc.d entry and a "patch" of sorts. It takes about 30-40 minutes to compile on my 1.7GHz P-M.

Actually, I'm uploading it to the Archlinux FTP server under "incoming"

ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/incoming/mythtv … pkg.tar.gz

Here's the PKGBUILD and other goods:

http://home.insightbb.com/~kleptophobia … ILD.tar.gz

#7 2004-12-01 22:18:17

kleptophobiac

oops

looks like the .install is busted atm. I'll fix that later. smile

#8 2004-12-01 22:19:46

aCoder
Website

It takes about 30-40 minutes to compile on my 1.7GHz P-M.

:shock:

Well, I think it's worth the wait.  Thanks for making a pkg, but I'm going to build it now anyway.  My Athlon XP 1700+ has an odd habit of beating P4s up to 2Ghz in build times... wink

ouch!:  32 minutes

Works great though, thanks.

- John Cage

#9 2004-12-01 22:59:57

kleptophobiac

hehe, my 1.7 P-M is faster than my 1700+ at 200x7.5.

Glad to hear it works for you. I was tempted to do a cvs package, but I figured it would be better to stick to release.

I'll be cleaning up the install and all that good stuff in the days to come, I've got a pretty busy week ahead of me.

#10 2004-12-04 22:11:18

kleptophobiac

well, I've made the install cleaner and whatnot, I'm up to version 3 of my package.

I need someplace to put packages, but I have a friend who might let me use his site.

real    14m16.163s
user    13m44.622s
sys     0m24.572s

IBM T41-p notebook
1.7 GHz Pentium-M
1024MB PC2700
7200 RPM 60GB HDD

#11 2004-12-05 00:04:28

kleptophobiac

I'm got mythtv, mythdvd, mythweather, mythnews, ivtv, and lirc all in there right now.

I'm done with mythgame, and mythgallery. Those will go up shortly.

They are in incoming, in full source/PKGBUILD form - so files are huge.

#12 2004-12-05 01:34:31

kleptophobiac

Argh, don't use the myth* packages. They are busted again. ivtv tests good though, smile

#13 2004-12-05 02:32:27

kleptophobiac

Fixed:
mythtv - now up to release 4... 5

To be fixed:
mythdvd
mythgame
mythgallery
mythweather
mythnews

#14 2004-12-06 04:33:43

aCoder
Website

That certainly is a mess.  I just wiped out my system to try out Solaris 10, however, so I've got nothing at this point.  You probably have the only working installation of Myth* anything right now! wink

Looking forward to getting all this working.  I'm expecting one of this real tiny barebones systems for Christmas and/or my Birthday, (Friday!).  That may not happen, but if it does, it's an HTPC, (read: lots of stylish fun), in the making.

- John Cage

#15 2004-12-07 10:00:21

kleptophobiac

heh, yeah. mythtv is a royal mess to install. I will resume work on the package come weekend, as I tend to be royally busy during the week. smile

I'm thinking of making a fake mythtv 0.16.0.1 and use the current cvs, as it works much much much better on arch (even though there is still a segfault issue I blame on gcc 3.4)

#16 2004-12-11 04:16:27

kleptophobiac

Work continues on mythtv and other packages. I have the newest beta of ivtv turned into a package (I would use the latest release, but the 0.2.0 branch is just too damned good not to use) and lirc made a little prettier.

I have switched over to myth CVS - mainly because it had a number of GCC 3.4 fixes (not perfect yet, but improving) as well as a cool new UI and a ton of bugfixes. Arch seems to like the CVS better anyway.

I will increment versions like this:

The current release is 0.16
The current package I have is 0.16.0.1, because it is neither an official 0.16.1 point release, nor the new 0.17. This number scheme will let me differentiate between an official release and a CVS build.

I've rebuilt mythtv, mythdvd, and mythvideo thus far with current CVS versions.

#17 2004-12-12 11:47:29

judfilm

Excellent news! Keep up the good work!

#18 2004-12-12 14:48:01

kleptophobiac

I'm going to have to ask for help now. smile

There seems to be a problem, at least on my system, where mythtv segfaults whenever I switch to a mode, go back to the menu, and then try to retun to that mode. It crashes with no log entries and a meaningless backtrace when using gdb.

Could somebody test the package to see if it is just a hw conflict in my system that myth doesn't like (race condition, driver issue, etc) or if it has something to do with arch. My prime suspect is a gcc 3.4.3 problem, but I can't successfully downgrade. sad I'll be putting more effort into the downgrade later.

In the mean time, try this:
http://www.mstcforum.com/projects/arch/ … pkg.tar.gz

You'll need lirc, I made a package for that too. It includes the ati-usb driver, because I figured that would be a pretty common remote. Anybody who needs drivers for other cards will need to edit the pkgbuild and make their own, I'll see about cleaning that up in the future.

As for myth, you'll need both packages, as well as some others. The deps should manifest themselves when you try to install mythtv. After installation, you will have a "myth" user that you should run mythtv as, I'm considering removing this user because it doesn't do anything worthwhile right now. smile You will need to import the mc.sql database into mysql, as well as run mythsetup to define capture cards, then mythfilldatabase. After that, you should be good to go for a basic myth setup.

Full docs:
http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

The problem I seem to be witnessing:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m … sers/95765

I apologize for not dequoting in that thread.... I had the show quoted text option off in gmail and completely forgot about it.

#19 2004-12-14 09:21:57

kleptophobiac

Nobody wants to be a guinea pig?

Oh well. I have a new version on my box, I'll post it as soon as I can. It cleans up some audio issues and uses a newer CVS. I still can't seem to stop the segfaults, but I don't know where to begin on fixing that problem. Having input on what the behavior is like on different systems would be wonderful.

#20 2004-12-14 13:31:00

Winkie

Sorry for the late reply but we had the same result last weekend with a handbuilt mythTV package.

Soon as I get my hardware i'm waiting for i'll test your package and see what I can find out smile

#21 2004-12-25 23:30:53

kleptophobiac

Seems there was an insight into the problem on the mythtv lists in the form of a patch. I'm not home right now, but I should have a new version including the patch out tomorrow. I hope that fixes the segfault problem - the only thing preventing this from going into my living room. smile

#22 2004-12-26 20:34:08

kleptophobiac

Damn, it didn't work.

Anybody want to play with it a bit?

#23 2005-01-06 22:10:11

Winkie

kleptophobiac wrote:

Seems there was an insight into the problem on the mythtv lists in the form of a patch. I'm not home right now, but I should have a new version including the patch out tomorrow. I hope that fixes the segfault problem - the only thing preventing this from going into my living room. smile

We're getting a weird latin1 character set error with mysql it would seem, it can't initialise latin1.. I'm totally confused now. Have you made more progress?

#24 2005-01-08 05:09:03

kleptophobiac

I'm going through piles of debugger output trying to isolate the problem.

I have no idea what the problem with the latin1 charset might be. I'm afraid I haven't experienced anything of the sort.

Could you post the details of your issue?

Current CVS still seems to segfault the frontend repeatably and annoyingly. It seems only Gentoo users are experiencing similar issues. So far the problem has stumped me, but as I have invested far too much into the project to abandon it now, I'm still working on it. smile

#25 2005-01-12 14:09:34

Winkie

kleptophobiac wrote:

I'm going through piles of debugger output trying to isolate the problem.

I have no idea what the problem with the latin1 charset might be. I'm afraid I haven't experienced anything of the sort.

Could you post the details of your issue?

Current CVS still seems to segfault the frontend repeatably and annoyingly. It seems only Gentoo users are experiencing similar issues. So far the problem has stumped me, but as I have invested far too much into the project to abandon it now, I'm still working on it. smile

Submitted by the guy i'm working with: http://www.mythtv.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=188

Board footer