You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-29 00:48:01

cprice

nvidia beta driver link down

The link for the nvidia beta driver has been down for the last couple of days everytime I try to download it.  http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?I … hans=&SeB=

I have found another site ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.10/ which has two links.  They look as if they are in the right format for a package to use in Arch, but will they actually work?  Also, which one would I need?  There are two - pkg0 and pkg1.run.

Very respectfully!

#2 2009-10-29 01:47:24

sand_man

Re: nvidia beta driver link down

If the link in the PKGBUILD is wrong, you're better off editing it with the correct URL rather than installing directly from nvidia's site.

By the way, the link to nvidia you posted, is not the beta.

neutral

#3 2009-10-29 02:32:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

cprice, I just tried the link and it works. Here's a direct link for you to the folder...

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.42/

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-10-29 03:40:38

cprice

ngoonee - yes I followed the same link by just starting with the ftp home (ftp://download.nvidia.com) after I posted the question.  The one question that I have is what is the difference between the pkg0 and pkg1 files, which do I need, or do I need both?

#5 2009-10-29 04:51:16

cprice

Okay I think found the answer to my question from the "readme" file.

What is the significance of the pkg# suffix on the .run file?

The pkg# suffix is used to distinguish between .run files containing the same driver, but different sets of precompiled kernel interfaces. If a distribution releases a new kernel after an NVIDIA driver is released, the current NVIDIA driver can be repackaged to include a precompiled kernel interface for that newer kernel (in addition to all the precompiled kernel interfaces that were included in the previous package of the driver).

.run files with the same version number, but different pkg numbers, only differ in what precompiled kernel interfaces are included. Additionally, .run files with higher pkg numbers will contain everything the .run files with lower pkg numbers contain.

So I am assuming it doesnt matter.  Is my assumption correct.

very respectfully!

#6 2009-10-30 16:02:12

Xi0N
Website

I am messing around trying to fix some problem with jdownloader in kde and finally, i have been said that the problem is a bug on "old" nvidia drivers.... by old, i mean that the "stable" release on arch for the nvidia drivers is 185.xxx and the one you can download from nvidia's page is 190.xxx .... Is there any reason why the new drivers are not still being uploaded to arch main servers?

#7 2009-10-31 00:13:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xi0N wrote:

I am messing around trying to fix some problem with jdownloader in kde and finally, i have been said that the problem is a bug on "old" nvidia drivers.... by old, i mean that the "stable" release on arch for the nvidia drivers is 185.xxx and the one you can download from nvidia's page is 190.xxx .... Is there any reason why the new drivers are not still being uploaded to arch main servers?

It hasn't been updated because the maintainer hasn't updated it. It just got released about a week ago anyway, be patient, or build it yourself (ABS/AUR).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2009-10-31 00:15:48

Xi0N
Website

Ok, i did not know the story.,

Of course, i will wait for the mantainer wink

Thanks!

#9 2009-10-31 20:07:42

Xi0N
Website

Ok, the driver has been updated.... all the problems regarding kde + jdownloader have been fixed...

Thanks to the maintainer!!! big_smile

Board footer