You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-29 22:35:05

zummy

I'd like to try this, but...

I'm a bit lost on how to install this.  I need to figure out my computer architecture, but I don't know how, so I'm not sure what download/install link to click.  Can someone help on this?  By the way, the computer currently has Vista installed (Ew.)

#2 2009-10-29 22:40:49

SamC
Website

Re: I'd like to try this, but...

Use i686. Unless you have four or more gigabytes of ram, you won't see any noticeable improvement. (However, if you can't figure this out, you might want to try a different distribution first)

#3 2009-10-29 22:45:57

zummy

I understand it now, yeah i686 would be good.

I am usually decent with linux once I get it up and running, its just the installs that make me think twice.

#4 2009-10-29 22:48:36

skottish
Forum Fellow

zummy wrote:

I understand it now, yeah i686 would be good.

I am usually decent with linux once I get it up and running, its just the installs that make me think twice.

Welcome to the forums.

Read the excellent Beginners' Guide. It will walk you through getting Arch up and running:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

#5 2009-10-29 22:48:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Note: being able to use one of the other distros (Ubuntu for the sake of the argument) doesn't imply you'll be 'decent' with another distro, particularly Arch which isn't quite so 'everything's done for you'.

That said, trying is the best way to find out smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-10-29 22:51:28

zummy

ngoonee wrote:

Note: being able to use one of the other distros (Ubuntu for the sake of the argument) doesn't imply you'll be 'decent' with another distro, particularly Arch which isn't quite so 'everything's done for you'.

That said, trying is the best way to find out smile.

I agree, worst comes to worst I just re install Linux Mint ( the one I'm on now, with my laptop ).

Thanks for the help everyone, I have that guide open and burning the image now, so hopefully it'll work.

#7 2009-10-30 01:08:50

zummy

Okay, so I got a Live CD of this distro from Godane's blog (http://godane.wordpress.com/)  I'm kind of lost, I'm greeted with a root@arch-live ~ $ screen with text.  Whats the command, or what do I have to do, to make this computer display a normal desktop without installing.  I want to make sure that I can access the internet before I fully install it on my desktop.

thanks for the continued help.

#8 2009-10-30 01:36:43

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

skottish wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

Read the excellent Beginners' Guide. It will walk you through getting Arch up and running:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Everything you need is in the Guide: just follow it step-by-step and you will build the desktop of your choice...

Good luck!

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2009-10-30 03:00:57

anonymous_user

Why not try Arch Linux inside VirtualBox (or similar)? If you don't like it, you can easily delete the VM and if it works for you then just consider it practice.

#10 2009-10-30 08:18:00

ZankerH

Just another clueless "linux power user" who expected to be greeted by the KDE login manager on first boot. Nothing to see here, move along people.

#11 2009-10-30 09:36:17

tomk
Forum Fellow

ZankerH - pointless post. Be constructive, or say nothing.

#12 2009-10-30 10:30:20

jac
Website

Is the point of Godane's ISO to have graphics? I thought the same thing as you, read the wiki, but the change log zummy linked to is definitely different from the official ISOs. It talks about experimental ATI/nvidia drivers, and you have to log into it at boot.

I'm afraid I don't know if it has a GUI or not, and I have no idea how you would get to it. Perhaps it's listed somewhere else on that site?

Edit: From the wiki page on archiso-live it says that it is a fork of archiso, and from that wiki page it talks about scripts to create a live cd image that is customized. Are you trying to try to make your own live cd, or just try Arch? If the latter is the case, download the official ISO and follow the Beginners' Guide.

Last edited by jac (2009-10-30 10:35:36)

#13 2009-10-30 10:49:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

zummy wrote:

Okay, so I got a Live CD of this distro from Godane's blog (http://godane.wordpress.com/)  I'm kind of lost, I'm greeted with a root@arch-live ~ $ screen with text.  Whats the command, or what do I have to do, to make this computer display a normal desktop without installing.  I want to make sure that I can access the internet before I fully install it on my desktop.

thanks for the continued help.

If you want to know if Arch is for you, I firmly recommend you use the official installer and not something like Chakra or Godane's Arch Live (how good they might be). Installing from a live CD won't teach you anything. You could as well stick with Mint then.

It will be a lot easier for you in the long run if you bump your head into the wall at the beginning than at the end, and decide this is nothing for you. It would be a waste of time (even if you have too much of it). Grab the official ISO, burn it, install it, read the documentation as Skottish said, and if you can't get past setting up your box, then you know you need to look elsewhere.

It's a long road from Mint to Arch. Not saying you can't do it, but as someone else pointed out, installing Arch isn't a walk in the park. Installing Mint, Ubuntu and the likes is.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#14 2009-10-30 18:51:41

zummy

Okay, I'll just use the offical one.

And sorry if I came off as a "I'm arrogant and know everything about linux" kind of guy, because (obviously) I'm not.  I'm just experimenting and I like the sound of arch.  It's just new to me to have just a command prompt, but thats something I'll learn from, no doubt.  I'll extensively read the guides and try the official installer, I suppose.

For those who posted something constructive, I thank you.

#15 2009-10-30 19:04:55

fsckd
Forum Fellow

If you're just experimenting, try a pacman -Syu and see what happens. Then follow the guide to install Xorg. Good luck!

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#16 2009-10-31 00:07:28

Hamchan

I heartily agree with the suggestion to try Arch out in virtualbox before installing it as a primary OS. This way you get some practice installing the system and you still have your primary OS to access the Beginners Guide (which is a great resource). Virtualbox will also allow you to experiment with your new installation without messing up your computer's usability so you know what you want to install.

This is what I did and it helped me feel much more comfortable when I installed Arch for real

Board footer