You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-29 17:54:14

hypermegachi

cannot mount vfat partition with fstab on boot

it appears that the vfat is a module, and not compiled into the kernel (2.6.9), so i can't auto mount it with fstab on boot up because vfat is not loaded.  and since it mounts file systems before it loads modules i'm screwed.

is there a way to get fstab working without recompiling the kernel?

#2 2004-11-29 18:40:57

Win

Re: cannot mount vfat partition with fstab on boot

Hi hypergamachi.

If you look at /boot/kconfig26 you'll see that fat, vfat and ntfs have NOT been compiled into the kernel. These are compiled as modules only:

#
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
#
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
# CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

However, you can use rc.local to mount your fat, vfat, and ntfs partitions, by using something like:

mount  /mnt/windows

and so forth for each of your Windows partitions (assuming that you've given appropriate specifications for the relevant partitions in /etc/fstab).

If you want something done a bit earlier in the boot process, you'll need to hack /etc/rc.sysinit (which controls the boot process).

Personally, I would recompile the kernel before hacking rc.sysinit.

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-12-09 19:31:58

Father

Re: cannot mount vfat partition with fstab on boot

having fat/ntfs as modules and having fat/ntfs partitions auto mount at startup has no problems. Im not sure how, but it seems to use the file system modules by itself before the standard modules are loaded

heres an example of my fstab file incase youve done something wrong

/dev/hda6              /mnt/p3-500/files vfat  defaults,auto,noatime,umask=027,uid=0,gid=507  0 0

just replace the gid=507 with one that you use. for the `users' group, try gid=100

Board footer