You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-30 09:37:50

SoleSoul

Is it possible not to use hal?

Hi!
I hear for some time that hal is going to be deprecated.
I'm now installing another arch system and I thought that it can be a good opportunity to use the new methods of doing things.
I wonder, is it possible to use the *kit stuff and udev and leave hal outside and still run xorg without an xorg.conf?
If it's possible, is there any guide present?
Thanks.

#2 2009-10-30 12:45:44

scragar

Re: Is it possible not to use hal?

You must either use HAL or the Xorg.conf without either Xorg has no way to detect your hardware(since it's only current option is HAL) and no way to otherwise know what the hardware is(because there's no config file).

#3 2009-10-30 16:55:28

idx

Are you refering to this ?

hal deprecation

Ubuntu 9.10 Beta's underlying technology for power management, laptop hotkeys, and handling of storage devices and cameras maps has moved from "hal" (which is in the process of being deprecated) to "DeviceKit-power", "DeviceKit-disks" and "udev". When testing Ubuntu 9.10 Beta, please be alert for regressions in those areas and report any bugs you find.

taken from the list of changes in the new version of ubuntu ? (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/beta)

Cause I did wonder about this too. Are they deprecating hal completely, or only for issues regarding power management ?

#4 2009-10-30 21:39:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

HAL is in the _process_ of being deprecated. They're gradually implementing it's functions in devicekit-*, though not everything has been done yet, like input.

I have not got HAL installed. I had to rebuild xorg-server and pcmanfm without HAL support and gstreamer0.10-good-plugins has a HAL dependency which should be optional.

Though I have an xorg.conf, I havn't tried without one.

scragar: X.org used to be able to generated a functioning xorg.conf without HAL. Should still be able too.

#5 2009-10-31 19:26:12

SoleSoul

@idx
This is exactly what made me think that the software for running xorg without hal and still use input hotplugging is already here.
Seems like we will have to wait before it will be possible.

Thank you scragar and iphitus for your answers.
I'm going to use hal until the replacement would be ready because I prefer to use input hotplugging.

#6 2009-11-16 21:18:22

pucky1977

SoleSoul wrote:

Hi!
I hear for some time that hal is going to be deprecated.
I'm now installing another arch system and I thought that it can be a good opportunity to use the new methods of doing things.
I wonder, is it possible to use the *kit stuff and udev and leave hal outside and still run xorg without an xorg.conf?
If it's possible, is there any guide present?
Thanks.

Hi,

yesterday i have found an patch to lets building xorg-server with udev instead of hal/dbus for detecting input devices. i have taken an quick look in this  but i cant get it work. i dont know where the patch comes from, or if this will be included in the next time. this patch can be found for minimyth, an small mediacenter distribution.

look here:
http://code.google.com/p/minimyth/source/detail?r=5787
http://code.google.com/p/minimyth/sourc … 799&r=5799

it would be nice if someone can test this to find out if this is working

(i am write my own distro from scratch and dont use Archlinux but this is an "general feature")

greetings

Stephan

--
              ### OpenELEC.tv ###
The free and open Mediacenter Distribution 4 you
             http://www.openelec.tv

#7 2009-11-16 22:14:11

karol
Archivist

In my previous setup I kicked out HAL *and* *kits - worked flawlessly. I wanted to see how many packages in the standard setup are not essential tongue
I did use xorg.conf though.

Last edited by karol (2009-11-16 22:15:39)

#8 2009-11-16 22:17:57

pucky1977

karol wrote:

In my previous setup I kicked out HAL *and* *kits - worked flawlessly. I wanted to see how many packages in the standard setup are not essential tongue
I did use xorg.conf though.

i know it works with xorg.conf. but i will using no xorg.conf, because my filesystem is fully readonly (exept /var)

Board footer