You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-30 19:34:11

Luis Sousa

Strange things happen after "pacman -Syyu"...

Hello everyone... After upgrading a few days ago with pacman, my Arch has become a little bit strange... I change some icons in my desktop from place to place (ex, from upper right corner to left lower corner) and they stay, but when i loggof and loggin they return to their previous place, dont know why... Also, my keyboard layout is portuguese, and every time i loggoff and login it adds us keyboard layout, and it switches my layout, although it keeps portuguese as default option...weird... Cant find info about this, is it only me? My machines description...
Asus F3S laptop; nVidia GeForce 8600m; Arch Linux(main)+Ubuntu+XP Grub boot; Gnome; TV Out enabled.

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#2 2009-10-30 19:44:24

MindTooth

Re: Strange things happen after "pacman -Syyu"...

Check your rc.conf file regarding the keyboard setup.
And not sure where to find it, maybe try deleting the .config/gnome folder in your home directory. You need to config everything from scratch, but maybe the config file that is currently loaded, is old with deprecated settings.

Birger smile

#3 2009-10-30 19:54:43

Luis Sousa

Thanks for replying. Checked my rc.conf and its ok, no problem here... About deleting the .gnome2 folder i wanted to avoid that at all cost, done that one time and i lost scripts, themes, etc... Ok, i didnt backup, but back then i didnt know what to backup smile...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#4 2009-10-30 20:10:44

JohnVV
Website

don't delete just rename it to   " .gnome2.off "
then reboot

#5 2009-10-30 21:30:01

Luis Sousa

Nope, didnt solve any of the problems... could it be a permissions problem? but ive also added my user to the root group and still nothing...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#6 2009-10-30 21:45:09

cobra2

adding a user to the root group is never a good solution.

I'm not familiar with gnome very well. Something that pops into my mind would be to remove the option for the US keyboard from your gnome options. About the icons, you might try to manually set the location of the icons.

[i'm not much of a mouse user, personally i'd disable any possible icon on the screen. ]

Hardware is like a parachute.... works best when open.

#7 2009-10-30 21:57:59

Luis Sousa

@cobra2: i also didnt think it was a very good idea add my user to root, but i needed to try something... and yes, i could remove all the other languages, but it had been working ok until the upgrade, so i think its something misconfigured elsewhere... but i simply dont find any info anywhere...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#8 2009-10-30 22:02:12

Urfaust

#9 2009-10-30 22:02:30

cobra2

Well since the upgrade is what appears to have broken your system, Downgrade back to the previously installed version and see if that fixes the problem. If it does then you know that there is a bug in the new version.

this might help with the downgrade. also note that older packages are stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

#10 2009-10-30 22:33:41

Luis Sousa

thanks Urfaust, i think that is exactly that bug. Ill try downgrading gdm before installing the patch, and get back to you guys...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#11 2009-10-30 22:52:56

Luis Sousa

Keyboard problem solved, just downgraded gdm and it works fine, no more us layout... Thanks guys for the tips, i really love the arch community... Also, removed my user from the root group, and now im looking for solving the placement of the icons in the desktop...

Last edited by Luis Sousa (2009-10-30 22:56:50)

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#12 2009-10-30 23:40:04

cobra2

Well the only thing that i can think of with the icons, would be to disable compiz if you have it enabled, then disable the icons on the desktop, and restart X, then re-enable the icons without compiz.

This was a fix for my mother's ubuntu machine. She has seen the 'light' and runs fluxbox now though.

I tend to lean towards the *box desktops.

#13 2009-10-31 06:00:26

Luis Sousa

I dont have compiz enabled, i use metacity... Tried to downgrade metacity, but its has too much dependencies, dont want to unstable my system, i'll just go along with this, its annoying but it works.
When i first installed arch i used XFCE and loved it for is simplicity and speed. But maybe because i was a Ubuntu user, i felt that basic things were missing in Thunar and decided to switch to Gnome. Lost some speed, but nothing compared to Ubuntu, which i still think its an amazing distro, but arch as cutting edge speed...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#14 2009-10-31 06:34:55

Luis Sousa

OK, new update. Created a new user to see if the problem persisted and found out that i can place any icon anywhere, EXCEPT shortcuts. In shortcuts i cant even change folder picture (which i could) nor move them from place to place. They innitialy stay put, but when i logoff and login they pile up on the left side of desktop...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

Board footer