You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-31 14:35:13

Mrhnrhm

ACPI & UDev being strange at boot time on HP 4515s laptop

Comrades, I think I need some help here. So, I've decided to give Archlinux a try on my new HP 4515s laptop. The installation (from 2009.08-core-x86_64 cd) went smooth. However, attempting to boot from the hard drive tends to cause a problem - the system will typically freeze dead after displaying this message:

Loading standard ACPI modules    [BUSY]

and only one boot attempt in ~10 tries will get past this step and boot successfully. I've also found that booting the 2009.08-core-x86_64 cd tends to yield the same problem, although it happens much less frequently than in case of booting from hard drive.
It appears that the system can always boot successfully if "nolapic" kernel option is specified, but this leads to another problem - every time hardware clock is supposed to be invoked an error message is displayed:

select() to /dev/rtc to wait for clock tick timed out

and specifying a "DIRECTISA="yes"" option in rc.conf doesn't help. Not to mention that this way only one CPU core gets detected, so "nolapic" is a bad idea.
Furthermore, booting from hard drive with "acpi=off" option leads to boot process going into deep freeze after displaying:

Waiting for UDev uevents to be processed     [BUSY]

Well, I'm at my wits end with this one. I'd most deeply appreciate some pointers on what can be done to get this system running as intended.
Perhaps, this information could be useful:
dmesg.log from a successful boot off 2009.08-core-x86_64 cd http://pastebin.com/mf10d8ac
lspci output http://pastebin.com/m492081cf

Thanks in advance smile

Maybe computers just hate me...

#2 2010-01-16 11:27:54

free_archer

Re: ACPI & UDev being strange at boot time on HP 4515s laptop

I have a trouble with this laptop too... Sometimes, after initialization ACPI, laptop reboots

Board footer