You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 14:23:10

tlawren

gdm not loading

First, if there is an thread that addresses my problem, point me to it. I looked, but couldn't find anything.

I updated my system this morning and somewhere towards the end my machine froze. All the apps I had loaded became non-responsive and I couldn't do anything but move the mouse. I let it sit to for a minute or two just to see if any errors would pop up, but nothing happened. I performed a hard reboot, but when everything came back up, gdm wouldn't load. The way I run gdm is probably not the suggested way to do things. I login as root, run gdm, and then login as my user.

I'm short on ideas, so any suggestions would be helpful. I don't even know where to look for problems!

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-11-01 14:36:14

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: gdm not loading

Best way to run it is to add it to the daemon's array in /etc/rc.conf as shown in beginners guide on the wiki.

So you start it manually as root, i.e. /etc/rc.d/gdm start?
If you do it this way, what is the output of that command?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2009-11-01 14:37:23

MadTux

My first question is did you finish the upgrade or not? If not, then you may have mixed/inconsistent versions of xorg, which came yesterday, on your machine.

#4 2009-11-01 14:45:57

tlawren

graysky - I login as root and just type gdm. I don't know what the command output is. Now when I run gdm, nothing happens besides a new prompt appearing.

MadTux - The update appeared to finish, but I don't know how clean it was. I re-ran the update when I rebooted, but there were a number of errors. How do I check for mixed or inconsistent versions of xorg?

Last edited by tlawren (2009-11-01 14:47:52)

#5 2009-11-01 19:00:57

tlawren

I've worked on the problem a bit, but still can't seem to make any headway. I have got gdm trying to load now, but failing due to XDisplay. When I run startx or xinit, I get a fatal error about failing to load devices. In the output, there is something about failing to load keymap.

Board footer