You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-01 22:15:53

dvl
Website

Recover "trashed" root filesystem?

Hey there!

I've got some serious problems, after a system reset due to a intreruption of electricity... While booting the "Filesystem Check Failed" message appeared, and i accidentaly "repaired it" with e2fsck without remounting it as read-only, or at least unmounting cause i was in hurry and didnt pay enough attention >.< System couldnt boot anymore, saying that there are no init scripts on the root fs, so i booted an Arch Live cd and tried e2fsck from there, but it said that the "Superblock is corrupt" and couldnt try it with backup superblock -b 8193.
If i tryed with alternative superblock it allways said that the fs is in use (but it wasnt mounted, nothing was using it) -.-
After a manual e2fsck procedure (answering questions) i kind of fucked up the whole fs...

On the partition all things "dissapeard", and got moved into a lost+found directory with splitted into weird named directories

http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … 001308.png
11022009001308.png

So my question is:
Is there any way to recover this, or a format/reinstall would help only? sad

With respect,
dvl

Arch. Xfce4

#2 2009-11-02 05:54:56

thetrivialstuff

Re: Recover "trashed" root filesystem?

Was there anything important on that partition or was it just the system? If it was just your system and boot stuff, it's probably not worth the trouble trying to fix it -- just nuke it & reinstall. (Might wanna make a backup of your data partitions, i.e. /home, before you do that though.)

#3 2009-11-02 11:45:24

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Recover "trashed" root filesystem?

I've seen this once dvi and I think I manually moved the files back in place (was a drive that had about 50 files on it).  You could try testdisk as it's the only thing I could think of that (might) be able to fix this.  Probably the easiest way to get testdisk is on the Parted Magic CD.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Board footer