You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-02 02:00:43

tlawren

install problems

Earlier this morning I ran into some problems with my Arch install that I didn't know how to fix, so I decided to just re-install the whole system. The only problem is that now I can't re-install Arch (or anything for that matter). When I try to prepare my harddrive during the installation process, I continually run into either a Kernel Panic or something about end trace. I am at a dead end with things to do and in need of help!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-11-02 02:17:00

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: install problems

can you give us more detail on what exactly it says when it fails?

#3 2009-11-02 02:44:45

tlawren

I just re-tried the install and now I am seeing something new. I'm getting....

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

Before, everything stopped on a kernel panic or something about end trace.

#4 2009-11-02 02:49:48

guzz46

I get the same message (always have) but everything still works fine, can you still boot ok

#5 2009-11-02 02:57:23

tlawren

No, I can't boot anything.

I tried the install one more time and get...

blk: botched request

Please tell me that my hd isn't messed up? I can't think of any reason it would have crapped out.

#6 2009-11-02 03:47:24

chender
Website

at what point are you getting this problem(s)

- insert DVD
- turn laptop on
-- then???

--
thinkpad X60s [t400s coming soon] | archlinux i686 | xmonad | dmenu |

#7 2009-11-02 11:20:34

tlawren

The problems arise during the installation process. I first boot the Arch cd and run /arch/setup. Once in the setup, I select sources (FTP/HTTP), set the time, and then go to prepare my harddrive. It is here that the problem occurs. I've been mostly using auto prepare, but I've also experienced difficulties with the manual prepare option aswell. Basically, if I run auto prepare the little box pops up to indicate that sda is being prepared, but before it can finish, a little black output buffer appears in the bottom left corner of my screen. The buffer either displays blk: botched request or a bunch of stuff I can't make sense of. The buffer then takes over the whole screen and eventually ends or hangs with something about end trace, kernel panic, or the blk: botched request line. I wish I could capture the output in order to provide further detail, but I don't know how to do it.

I've experience problems before, but nothing like this. It is almost as if my machine has gone flatline.

Last edited by tlawren (2009-11-02 11:44:47)

#8 2009-11-02 11:50:53

grey

That sounds like a hardware failure. Two options:
1. partition before you install. Try gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php). Then reuse the partitions when you install arch
2. try to install something else just to see if it works, something that is supposed to work out of the box (e.g. Ubuntu)

If you try 1. and it fails at the partitioning stage, you can try Dariks Boot and Nuke (http://www.dban.org/) to wipe the disk clean and try again. If that fails, you need a new disk.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#9 2009-11-02 13:07:11

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

You could try booting with the legazy ide drivers.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#10 2009-11-02 15:36:47

tlawren

Okay, so I've tried installing Ubuntu, #!, and XP on the machine without success. Ubuntu and #! both error during the install (something about not being able to write files... clean DVD-rom... etc) and the XP installer doesn't detect my hd. I have tried both CD/DVD and USB installs too. Given all of this, I know all signs point to my hd, but what could have caused my hd drive to crap out or become corrupted?

Yesterday, I attempted to update, but during the update process everything froze. I let the machine sit for a time, but it remained frozen, so I hit the restart button. When the system booted back up, X wouldn't load. I tried to find/fix the problem, but got nowhere. I could boot into the terminal fine, but not X. In the end, I decided to just re-install the whole system. The hd has been running without error so far as I know, so I don't know what happened. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm going to give gparted a try later. If that doesn't work, I will give dban a try. If that doesn't work, I guess I have new paper weight for my desk!

#11 2009-11-02 21:19:43

guzz46

Like Mr.Elendig pointed out the reason why XP can't detect your hdd may be down to your hard drive mode, go into the bios and see if there is a hard drive mode option, if there is and it is set to AHCI change it to IDE

Last edited by guzz46 (2009-11-02 21:21:44)

#12 2009-11-03 05:26:38

brando56894

tlawren wrote:

I just re-tried the install and now I am seeing something new. I'm getting....

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

I recently found out that the kernel module (or built in support I forget which) for port multipliers causes this error/warning and the only way Ive found to get rid of the message was to recompile and remove support in the kernel for it. I wish I could tell you the exact option but both of my arch installs are botched and Im in windows sad

tlawren wrote:

No, I can't boot anything.

I tried the install one more time and get...

blk: botched request

Please tell me that my hd isn't messed up? I can't think of any reason it would have crapped out.

The sad thing is they die without reason. I have a maxtor diamond max 9 work fine one minute and then I replaced my motherboard and it wouldnt spin up anymore. Ive also had a brand new western digital 5000KS die on me after a month without use. I bought it and used it for about a week then I physcially damaged my CPU and when I got everything fixed the HDD wouldnt spin up at all!

Board footer