You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-02 11:09:56

AleXoundOS
Website

How to set screen refresh rate for linux console (runlevel 3)?

Hi,

I have a CRT monitor, so the refresh rate is always needed to configure. I use 720x400 resolution in console, but the refresh rate is 70hz. Are there any ways to get it higher in console (with KMS or without)?

Last edited by AleXoundOS (2009-11-04 12:27:09)

#2 2009-11-03 18:15:41

MadTux

Re: How to set screen refresh rate for linux console (runlevel 3)?

What do you mean by console? Is that a terminal opened from a WM or DE (Gnome, etc.)? Then the solution would be to change xorg.conf and set an appropriate refresh rate, as outlined in the wiki:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … _xorg.conf

If you mean runlevel 3 console, I don't think there is a way to set the refresh rate, since xorg is not running in runlevel 3.

#3 2009-11-03 19:19:35

toxygen

i think he means text-mode console (runlevel 3). you have to set the resolution in grub or whatever bootloader, using framebuffer if available for your video card, or whatever graphics mode are available.  the only thing i could find related to this (on a quick google search) was this;
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer

see if that helps

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#4 2009-11-03 19:20:57

MadTux

But setting the resolution, e.g. vga=773, would not change the refresh rate, or would it?

#5 2009-11-03 20:55:19

toxygen

MadTux wrote:

But setting the resolution, e.g. vga=773, would not change the refresh rate, or would it?

not sure, but on the link they appear to be using

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 video=uvesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3,1024x768-32@70

which has a refresh rate at the end.  so maybe enabling the module for uvesafb.. it depends on your video card though

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#6 2009-11-04 12:53:49

AleXoundOS
Website

thank you for replies

It would, but usually not to the maximum provided by the monitor. May be it is real to find the place, where it looks for available resolutions linked with refresh rates...

According to the Gentoo page I can use uvesafb for setting refresh rate as well as other settings. And then I found uvesafb page in ArchWiki. But the way to set proper refresh rate is not so easy as I expected, because I need to install uvesafb and it needs additional daemon. And also I think KMS can't work here. However it's better than nothing, if I don't find any other way, I will try this one.

Board footer