You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-03 00:32:28

dlmoak

Installing wireless printer on a computer w/ wired network connection

I'm new to arch and have not found my exact problem in the wiki.  I have the system installed and am trying to setup my wireless printer.  My computer is connected to a broadband router by cable.  I have a wireless router which is also connected to the broadband router so that my wife can have internet access on her laptop downstairs and so that I can print to my wireless printer across the room.  The wireless router has WEP security and an SSID of "Moak Home" - I can't figure out how to pass cups the SSID, the WEP password, and the ip address of the printer.  The printer is an HP Officejet and was detected by Ubuntu on another system and worked so I know the printer is linux compatible.  I have installed hplip along with cups, ghostscript, and gutenprint and have tried setting up the printer via the cups web portal and also by using the gnome printer configuration tool.  any help would be greatly appreciated.  However, I will be watching the Saints/Falcons game shortly and may not get back here until tomorrow:).  I lived in New Orleans for 30 years and cannot help myself.

Last edited by dlmoak (2009-11-03 00:34:26)

#2 2009-11-03 00:59:21

alexandrite

Re: Installing wireless printer on a computer w/ wired network connection

As long as you are already connected to the network by some other means, you should just be able to reference the printer by its IP Address.  If you want to be off your wifi till you're ready to print, I don't think I would be a great help, though.

#3 2009-11-03 12:00:17

dlmoak

Re: Installing wireless printer on a computer w/ wired network connection

Nevertheless, just an ip address doesn't work.  Perhaps I don't actually have a network set up.  On my Ubuntu computer I can install the printer by providing the ip, the SSID and the wep password to the wireless router.  My wife can connect her Windows laptop to the internet by providing the SSID and the wep password to the wireless router.  However, her machine and mine are not networked together.  Do I need to setup a network consisting of my computer and the printer?  I may just not adequately understand the process.

Board footer