You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-04 17:59:44

jayjay44

Problems printing with HP laserjet 1018

I'm using the hplip package. CUPS sees the printer, but I can't print diddley. I followed the wiki word for word and have googled extensively but I can't seem to figure it out. I tried printing as root, and as my user, and I am in the lp group but to no avail.

All that happens when I try to print is it says the jobs are all pending. Occasionally I get the error

"/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip-hplip failed"

I also tried the foo2zjs with similar results. But with the foo2zjs driver it simply says all my jobs are complete, rather than pending.

I've also tried the hp-toolbox program that comes with hplip, it can get the printer to move!, but it still won't print anything.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by jayjay44 (2009-11-04 18:14:24)

#2 2009-11-10 22:06:53

vennen

Re: Problems printing with HP laserjet 1018

Read wiki, please. It would be helpful http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cups

Maybe this is solution

A HPLIP printer sends "/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" error

Make sure dbus is installed and running, e.g. check DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf or run ls /var/run/daemons.
hp-toolbox sends an error, "Unable to communicate with device"

If running hp-toolbox as a regular user results in:

# hp-toolbox
# error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12): hp:/usb/<your printer id>

or, "Unable to communicate with device"", then you may have to add yourself to the lp group by running the following command:

# gpasswd -a <username> lp

CUPS returns '"foomatic-rip" not available/stopped with status 3' with a HP printer

If you receive any of the following error messages in /var/log/cups/error_log while using a HP printer, with jobs appearing to be processed while they all end up not being completed with their status set to 'stopped':

Filter "foomatic-rip" for printer "<printer_name>" not available: No such file or director

or:

PID 5771 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip) stopped with status 3!

make sure you have hplip installed, in addition to the packages mentioned above, net-snmp is also needed. See: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65615

# pacman -S hplip

Last edited by vennen (2009-11-10 22:08:18)

#3 2009-11-11 05:20:17

qb1base

The wiki doesn't quite cut it with these hp printers; which require hplip, plus a plugin. I screwed around for hours trying to install a hp p1006 this weekend. HP-toolbox didn't do squat.  This is what worked for me: custom udev rule, go to the cups website and install hplip, close cups website after getting the same error messages, run hp-setup as root which will install the plugin, unplugged and replugged in my printer and voila, the damn thing came alive! Both Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10 treat this stuff like candy, setup took seconds. Arch really screwed the pooch with this one!

#4 2009-11-11 09:56:37

owain

I've got a similar problem with my HP LJ 1005, which was working with foo2zjs until the CUPS 1.4 upgrade.

Try this: install foo2zjs, add the printer, then do

# modprobe usblp && sleep 5 && modprobe -r usblp

What I've found is that usblp needs to be blacklisted, but without it being added briefly, foo2zjs can't upload the necessary firmware to the printer.

(FWIW, mine has never worked with hplip, even on Ubuntu only foo2zjs worked.)

Board footer