You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-04 22:52:48

tomd123
Developer

Unable to adjust brightness after xorg update.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with the new xorg (server) update. Before the update, I was able to adjust brightness in tremulous-updated in the aur. (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21426) Afterwards, I'm unable to adjust the brightness. The slider moves, but no results. Restarting tremulous doesn't work also. I also deleted ~/.tremulous/ and that didn't help. Any ideas? Without a higher brightness I won't be able to play it.

Note: brightness control works for the desktop, just not tremulous.

Last edited by tomd123 (2009-11-04 22:53:50)

#2 2010-01-19 17:02:49

smldis

Re: Unable to adjust brightness after xorg update.

No solutions? xgamma setting is not the same.

#3 2010-01-19 21:47:17

wriggary

Re: Unable to adjust brightness after xorg update.

Hi, I'd like to second the report that in-game brightness controls do not work for any ioQuake games with my ATI R350 9800 AIW under Xorg server 1.7.x .  This includes Tremulous, UrbanTerror, and OpenArena.

I tried the instructions for enabling KMS from the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Radeon , but some dependency errors, and apparently a bug when compiling mesa-git prevented me from enabling it.  So, I just went with the pre-built mesa, libgl, ati-dri, and xf86-video-ati from the mainline repos.

I do have radeon.modeset=0 in the grub kernel line just in case, and according to glxinfo, it appears to be using DRI1.  Not sure though.

$ glxinfo | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (R350 4E48) 20090101 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7
OpenGL extensions:

Will a sucessful upgrade to the -git versions of those packages, and enabling KMS clear up the brightness problem?  As it is, I have to gamma the heck out of the monitor just to be able to see in the darker passages in UrT (train tunnel on eagle appears nearly black, but the T&L rendering everywhere else is beautiful!   at least better than before.)

And also, thanks to all the devels and tu's for their hard work getting 2.6.32 into [core].  I had spotty luck compiling my own kernel that would play nice with the radeon and dri modules, so I gave up and reverted back to xorg-server 1.6.

P.S.

I just less'd my Xorg.0.log, and it is loading the DRI2 module, so that would explain the pretty visuals... also when I grep for (EE) in Xorg.0.log, I noticed this:

(EE) RADEON(0): Microcode: cannot load microcode

possible reason for not being able to change brightness in direct rendering mode?

Board footer