You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 13:17:58

li.alvez

Just need a little explination.

Hi guys!
just wanted to know what the following means i use KDE and last time i did an upgrade on kernel my whole system crashed and i could not even get in on SAFE mode (not sure if thats what you call it...fallback?) once i reversed the process and got it going i locked out any kernel and nvidia upgrades, but now each time i Syu i get the following message is there a wiki or something that explains what i did wrong? here it is:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: kernel26: ignoring package upgrade (2.6.30.6-1 => 2.6.31.5-1)
warning: nvidia: ignoring package upgrade (185.18.36-1 => 190.42-1)
resolving dependencies...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: xorg-server will be installed before its nvidia-utils dependency
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia: requires nvidia-utils=185.18.36

not that technical if someone can explain it please use layman terms smile

#2 2009-11-05 13:37:31

clmates

Re: Just need a little explination.

Hi.

Not to answer what you ask, but I also had the same kde + nvidia problem, I finally solved it by downloading the latest nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, and installing them directly (chmod +x the fiel), and run it as root

Now On the problem you have it is related at the vidia utils not being locked (I think)

I Now have runnig the latest kernel with the 190.42 nvidia driver without any problem

You can read my whole post in the Desktop Enviroment Subforum

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82817

Hope this helps

-

Arch64 - Acer AX3950 - i5-650 3.2 GHz - 8 GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce 320 1 GB Ram
Arch32 - Samsung NC10 - 2 GB Ram

#3 2009-11-05 13:49:30

wonder
Developer
Website

the new xorg-server  needs nvidia-utils 190 to work and because you have nvidia in ignore cannot be updated. you could build nvidia manually to 190.x(for kernel 2.6.30) and your problems are gone.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2009-11-05 14:18:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

clmates wrote:

Not to answer what you ask, but I also had the same kde + nvidia problem, I finally solved it by downloading the latest nvidia drivers from the nvidia website, and installing them directly (chmod +x the fiel), and run it as root

People who do things like this make me wonder why they use distros and package management systems...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-11-05 14:38:48

ASOM

ngoonee wrote:
clmates wrote:

People who do things like this make me wonder why they use distros and package management systems...

Sometimes it's better to use a workaround than to just sit there with a broken system, waiting for it be fixed.

#6 2009-11-05 15:10:14

kazuo
Website

ASOM wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
clmates wrote:

Sometimes it's better to use a workaround than to just sit there with a broken system, waiting for it be fixed.

And why you dont fix it by yourself? Are you a ubuntu user?

#7 2009-11-05 20:55:26

clmates

Hi.

ngoonee wrote:
clmates wrote:

I prefer to install a package like this, than to have a unstable, non usable, system

before this I was using my own PKGBUILD for building the nvidia drivers, but they wont compile in new kernerls, and my knowledge and time don't permit me to investigate to fix this

I has opened a bug and reported the issue and the fix, as this is a official package I assume that the maintainer surely much more experienced than me in arch packaging and in nvidia drivers should be able to fix this better and faster than me.

that's my 2 cents

-

Arch64 - Acer AX3950 - i5-650 3.2 GHz - 8 GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce 320 1 GB Ram
Arch32 - Samsung NC10 - 2 GB Ram

#8 2009-11-05 21:36:25

loafer

ignore:  didn't read your signature

Last edited by loafer (2009-11-05 21:38:14)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Board footer