You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 16:24:43

Greenstuff

Xorg-server conflicts with xf86-video-intel-legacy

Hi,
I wanted to update my system today when I noticed the following:

:: xorg-server conflicts with xf86-video-intel-legacy. Remove xf86-video-intel-legacy? [Y/n] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: xorg-server: conflicts with xf86-video-intel-legacy

Now I don't want to remove xf86-video-intel-legacy. My computer's a bit old and needs it for its display. My question is, how do I resolve this conflict?

#2 2009-11-05 17:21:37

MadTux

Re: Xorg-server conflicts with xf86-video-intel-legacy

As far as I know, xf86-video-intel-legacy is no longer supported, so you should either try xf86-video-intel or the vesa driver or stick with the older xorg server.

#3 2009-11-05 17:22:07

grey

You cannot. The latest xorg-server does not support the legacy driver. Quite a few people with older machines were able to use the latest intel driver if they enabled KMS, so you might give that a try (do a forum search on xf86-video-intel for more info).

Failing that you need to tell pacman to hold all xorg related packages.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#4 2009-11-05 23:31:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

grey wrote:

Failing that you need to tell pacman to hold all xorg related packages.

*Shudders* Oh, now THAT system would be fun to maintain 6 months from now...

Hope the xf86-video-intel-stable drivers work for you. Holding xorg-related packages is no fun at all.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-11-06 09:28:30

grey

xf86-video-intel-stable is probably not an option - according to messages on AUR it doesn't build against the new xorg server. Which is not surprising.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#6 2009-11-06 14:33:54

ariszlo
Website

Greenstuff wrote:

Now I don't want to remove xf86-video-intel-legacy. My computer's a bit old and needs it for its display. My question is, how do I resolve this conflict?

pacman -Syu --ignore xorg-server --ignore xf86-input-evdev --ignore xf86-video-vesa

#7 2009-11-06 15:10:20

grey

pacman -Syu --ignore xorg-server --ignore xf86-input-evdev --ignore xf86-video-vesa

That is not enough - you need a much longer IgnorePkg list. Also, in cases like these I would always run pacman -Syuw first, and then check if I'm ok with the downloaded packages to be installed.
For example with the setup above you will install a large number of libx* packages. All of these have recently been rebuilt against the new xorg-server. I wouldn't want any of them in my system when running the old one.

Here is my list:

IgnorePkg = xextproto                                                                              
IgnorePkg = fixesproto                                                                             
IgnorePkg = inputproto                                                                             
IgnorePkg = libdrm                                                                                 
IgnorePkg = libx11                                                                                 
IgnorePkg = libxext                                                                                
IgnorePkg = libxxf86vm
IgnorePkg = libxfixes
IgnorePkg = libxdamage
IgnorePkg = libdmx
IgnorePkg = libxt
IgnorePkg = libxmu
IgnorePkg = libxpm
IgnorePkg = libxaw
IgnorePkg = libxcomposite
IgnorePkg = libxdmcp
IgnorePkg = libxfont
IgnorePkg = libxfontcache
IgnorePkg = renderproto
IgnorePkg = libxrender
IgnorePkg = libxft
IgnorePkg = libxi
IgnorePkg = libxinerama
IgnorePkg = libxkbfile
IgnorePkg = libxtst
IgnorePkg = libxv
IgnorePkg = libxvmc
IgnorePkg = libxxf86dga
IgnorePkg = libxxf86misc
IgnorePkg = shared-mime-info
IgnorePkg = xf86-input-evdev
IgnorePkg = xf86-input-keyboard
IgnorePkg = xf86-input-mouse
IgnorePkg = xf86-video-vesa
IgnorePkg = xf86-video-intel
IgnorePkg = xorg-apps
IgnorePkg = xorg-font-utils
IgnorePkg = xorg-server-utils
IgnorePkg = xorg-utils
IgnorePkg = xorg-xkb-utils
IgnorePkg = libgl
IgnorePkg = intel-dri
IgnorePkg = mesa
IgnorePkg = xorg-server
IgnorePkg = xterm

Last edited by grey (2009-11-06 15:13:06)

#8 2009-11-06 16:47:19

MadTux

What graphics card do you have? My laptop has 855GM and I also had problems with the new xorg server in that X refused to start and the laptop froze. Initially, I downgraded to 1.6 and set all the relevant packages on hold. Then I found a thread here in the forum which basically said, that the problem could be solved by configuring kernel mode setting. I followed the wiki article on KMS for Intel cards and once this run well, I upgraded to the new xorg packages. Everything went well and X runs without problems.

Board footer