You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-05 21:50:01

mohtasham1983

Sharing a folder with other users on the same machine (SOLVED)

Hi,

Recently, I've been sharing my computer with my dad. I don't want him to use my account, since I have a lot of secret files and bookmarks on my profile. However, I would like to share all my music with him. What I did was to set the permission of my Music directory to 777 and using root create a symbolic link from my own account to his account. But then when I log into his account, it says the folder is corrupt.

Then I created a symbolic link from my music directory to /media/ and set the permission to 777. Again I tried to see if I can access it from my dad's account and got the same error.

What's the best way of creating common folders between users in a linux machine?

Note that, since I use Amarok, I don't want to move my Music to somewhere else, because it will mess up with the database info of songs.

EDIT: I solved the problem by using mount instead of symbolic links.

You have to issue the following command:

mount --bind /home/name/music /media/music/

Of course you have to execute this command whenever you boot the computer. Just place this command in rc.local and you're good.

Thanks

Last edited by mohtasham1983 (2009-11-05 22:06:03)

#2 2009-11-05 22:19:09

grey

Re: Sharing a folder with other users on the same machine (SOLVED)

If I wanted to share it between different users, I wouldn't put it inside one particular users home directory. Just use a reasonable place that is not used by the system, like /usr/local/data, /var/shared or so, give it the desired permissions and that's it.

The link will probably not work, because in order to read /home/yourname/music, you need to be able to read /home/yourname. That is even true if root created the link.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-11-05 23:14:02

brisbin33
Website

Re: Sharing a folder with other users on the same machine (SOLVED)

grey wrote:

If I wanted to share it between different users, I wouldn't put it inside one particular users home directory. Just use a reasonable place that is not used by the system, like /usr/local/data, /var/shared or so, give it the desired permissions and that's it.

you are absolutely right and i recommend this as well.

grey wrote:

The link will probably not work, because in order to read /home/yourname/music, you need to be able to read /home/yourname. That is even true if root created the link.

that is true for symbolic links, not bind mounts.  a bind mounted dir doesn't care about the parent directories because your not traversing to it through a link, it's just 'there'.  this is how i put folders under my ~ out on my http server.

Board footer