You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-06 03:05:37

drandre

[Solved] Overheating/fan/sensors issues after kernel updates

Hi all,

I realise there has been a bit of correspondence on this already.  I'm after some advice for my specific situation:

1. My laptop is an acer aspire 5315.  I has well understood overheating issues that arrise due to BIOS problems
2. Fan control and temperature reporting worked perfectly with kernel 2.6.30, stopped working with 2.6.31 - I assume due to the well documented changes made in that release.  The temperature only seems to be read once - at boot.  sensors never reports a change after that; if the temperature is cold at boot the fan never get switched on.  Unfortunately this happens most often.
3. I tried setting the recommended kernel option (can't relocate the post now).  It didn't help :-?
4. I have tried upgrading the BIOS but the distribution from acer is a windows executable (won't run under freeDOS) and I do not have windows installed on this PC (not game to try under wine).
5. I re-installed the old kernel from my pacman cache only to find that my wireless no longer works (fan works just fine though).

I'm now totally stumped :-/
I'd like to update my bios and go with the latest kernel but can't see a way without installing windows.
This might be fixed in an ubuntu kernel release (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/453700) but I'd prefer not to do that switch... perhaps the same fix is coming to arch?
I'd accept having to pin the kernel to an earlier version but neet to get the wireless working.

help...

edit: 
I've now managed to get the kernel backdated correctly (so that wireless works as well as the fan) by re-installing the kernel and firmware together.
Have configured pacman to igmore future kernel updates
If anyone has any suggestions on howto update my bios I'd be very greatful.

Last edited by drandre (2009-11-06 13:26:46)

#2 2009-12-20 09:10:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved] Overheating/fan/sensors issues after kernel updates

Hi,

Got exactly the same issue, after running for a while laptop justs goes off... going to try to regress kernel until issue is resolved

BIOS update does sound a bit extreme

MrG

Mr Green

Board footer