You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 10:39:51

toorlv

ISL3886, PRISM54 issue

Hi,

I tried to read up on wireless network(card)s in linux, but I did not find the solution to my problem. I cannot scan for wireless networks, and get two different errors:

- if I enable the radio-button on my laptop and let netcfg2 search automatically for wireless networks, I get an error with "SIOCSIFFLAGS" (googling this I got several links but nothing relevant). If I connect manually, it gives me the same error and it won't work;
- if I don't enable the radio-button on my laptop, I get a kernel panic upon booting, right at the time netcfg2 is trying to connect. The error message is related to the prism54-driver (line 232 IIRC) and says it is a "KERNEL BUG", whatever that may mean.

Using an Ubuntu livecd makes my wlan card work (or so it seems - I have no wireless networks in this neighbourhood, but it performs the scan alright).

What I did:
- follow the wiki on wireless networks
- install the prism54-driver and make sure it is loaded as a module (in the output of the kernel panic I described above, the prism54-module is confirmed to be loaded)
- copy the firmware (2.7.0.0) in /lib/firmware and rename it accordingly
- use netcfg2 as I have done on several computers, including another laptop with a wireless network (but uses an Intel-card).
- search google and some big linux-related forums (Ubuntu, LQ, this one, Gentoo) for problems with prism54-cards.

I don't need it right away, but it might be useful some day, and I would like to see this fixed. Does anyone have any idea what I could be overlooking?

THX!

Zl.
/EDIT: some output:

Hardware:
Notebook: Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO L1300
1260:3886 Network controller: Intersil Corporation module: prism54
          ISL3886 [Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow]

Board footer