You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-07 21:32:11

Staerseus
Website

Intel graphics 4500MHD

Hello, sorry for my newbie post, but I have Intel graphics 4500MHD and Ubuntu actually but thinking of Archlinux /and maybe the new Fedora, but I like to set MY system to MY needs, so Arch is much better/. I have some troubles with this card on Ubuntu 9.04 /sick of Ubuntu allready:-)/, it is really slow... In 9.04 there are troubles with the migration from EXA tu UXA /or what/... And I wanted to ask, how can I set up my card in Arch. I looked at the Arch wiki, at the Beginners guide, which told me, that I have to select the xf86-video-intel driver form my card, but I think that my card isn't from the i810/i830/i9xx serie, I am confused of it...

lspci | grep VGA told me:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

I was searching for my card on this forum and found, that I should copy this to my xorg.conf file, am I right?

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel X4500MHD"
    Driver      "intel"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option        "DRI" "true"
    Option        "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    Option        "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
EndSection

Or is better to do:

Xorg -configure

???

I was using Ubuntu for almost a year, so I am not very good at setting up the system personally, so I am sorry for my silly questioning. Also sorry for my bad English. :-) Thank you for help.

Thanks for the GNU/Linux. EDIT:Thanks for the GNU/Linux, Linux guru, for the manuals and wikis.

#2 2009-11-07 22:19:44

takedown

Re: Intel graphics 4500MHD

Short: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

My xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "GMA X4500MHD"
        Driver "intel"
EndSection

With KMS my card work very very good

#3 2009-11-07 22:39:17

Staerseus
Website

takedown wrote:

Short: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics

My xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "GMA X4500MHD"
        Driver "intel"
EndSection

With KMS my card work very very good

I've already read that wiki page, but I don't understand it much...

There is written:

"KMS is still a bit buggy in 2.6.29, so we didn't enable it by default. It can be enabled by the user, but it is a bit tricky right now. Note that KMS right now only works with chipsets that use the i915 DRM driver. If you use KMS, the default acceleration will be UXA"

But I am not sure, which driver will be used... I will install xf86-video-intel, but it is a package of more than one drivers... And I think, that my card isn't one of i810/i830/i9xx, so can I use the KMS? And what KMS is better late or early?

And there is written, that:

"You should definitely try the latest driver (plus KMS; see further below) before falling back to the legacy one. In all cases, performance is optimal under the latest subsystem without a xorg.conf."

How can I set the system to don't use xorg.conf ???

Thank you for answering.

Thanks for the GNU/Linux. EDIT:Thanks for the GNU/Linux, Linux guru, for the manuals and wikis.

#4 2009-11-08 01:17:09

brianhanna

I'm running an intel x4500 but not the MHD version.  It works great in Arch with xf86-video-intel and no xorg.conf.  The mobile version may be somewhat different but I'd give it a try.  Running without an xorg.conf is very easy.  Just install Arch, then Xorg, then xf86-video-intel and startx.  Piece of cake.

#5 2009-11-08 15:12:56

Staerseus
Website

brianhanna wrote:

I'm running an intel x4500 but not the MHD version.  It works great in Arch with xf86-video-intel and no xorg.conf.  The mobile version may be somewhat different but I'd give it a try.  Running without an xorg.conf is very easy.  Just install Arch, then Xorg, then xf86-video-intel and startx.  Piece of cake.

Thank you very much brianhanna, you helped me a lot. After the instalation of the Xorg, have I to type: Xorg -configure, or not? I think no, but I am not sure. And should I use the KMS? I hope, that the instalation will be a piece of cake :-)

#6 2009-11-08 15:20:03

benob

You should not type Xorg -configure as the intel card works pretty well without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (rename it if it's there). But you should make sure hal is installed and running (DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf). If you have installed xf86-video-intel (and maybe xf86-input-{keyboard,mouse,evdev,synaptics}), it should work like a charm.

You probably don't need KMS.

EDIT: oh, and it's also a good idea to have i915 in your MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf (and probably most of the output of hwdetect --modules).

Last edited by benob (2009-11-08 15:21:02)

#7 2009-11-08 15:43:08

Staerseus
Website

benob wrote:

You should not type Xorg -configure as the intel card works pretty well without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (rename it if it's there). But you should make sure hal is installed and running (DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf). If you have installed xf86-video-intel (and maybe xf86-input-{keyboard,mouse,evdev,synaptics}), it should work like a charm.

You probably don't need KMS.

EDIT: oh, and it's also a good idea to have i915 in your MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf (and probably most of the output of hwdetect --modules).

Thank you very much, now I understand it well. I am not sure about instalating the x86-input, can I install xf86-input-all, as I have it on Ubuntu? Thank you very much, tommorrow I'll give it a try. And if I do everything right, I'll right from Arch, if not, I will write from Ubuntu liveCD :-) /But I hope in first option :-)/

#8 2009-11-08 16:35:22

ybotspawn

may need to add the module options in modprobe.conf.  I had to for the card to work properly

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#9 2009-11-09 03:35:00

fphillips

Arch doesn't have a xf86-input-all package, but we do have a group named xorg-input-drivers

[fp@viron ~]$ pacman -Sg xorg-input-drivers
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-acecad
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-aiptek
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-elographics
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-evdev
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-fpit
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-hyperpen
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-joystick
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-keyboard
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-mouse
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-mutouch
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-penmount
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-synaptics
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-vmmouse
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-void

Just install the separate packs that you need is my advice.

#10 2009-11-09 13:40:46

Staerseus
Website

fphillips wrote:

Arch doesn't have a xf86-input-all package, but we do have a group named xorg-input-drivers

[fp@viron ~]$ pacman -Sg xorg-input-drivers
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-acecad
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-aiptek
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-elographics
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-evdev
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-fpit
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-hyperpen
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-joystick
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-keyboard
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-mouse
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-mutouch
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-penmount
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-synaptics
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-vmmouse
xorg-input-drivers xf86-input-void

Just install the separate packs that you need is my advice.

Thank you, I'll do, what you say. :-)

to ybotspawn: I hope it will not be necessary, thank you.

#11 2009-11-10 22:42:39

lustikus

I don't want to open a new thread, but I have the exact same issue with my 4500mhd.
I can start X without xorg.conf but when I build one with Xorg -configure it hangs.
I installed KDS and Hal and both are running. I experimented with some xorg.conf files I found on these forums, nothing works.
I also checked xorg.0.log and have no clue what's wrong.

#12 2009-11-11 14:20:03

brianhanna

Why do you want an xorg.conf lustikus?  It's much easier to run without it.

#13 2009-11-11 15:16:55

takedown

In my case with this graphic card I need a basic xorg.conf (listed in #2).

Board footer