You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-08 03:27:43

Rew

Keyboard Stops Responding [Solved]

Hello,

I've been using Archlinux for a few weeks now on my laptop and am quite pleased.  I decided to install it in a VM (VirtualBox) on my desktop but i've encountered a problem.

I got Arch up and running with gnome, everything worked perfectly.  After restarting however the keyboard stops responding.  I know it's not a problem with VirtualBox because the keyboard works in the bootloader and with when I boot a LiveCD.  This happened after I installed the network manager and I figured I might have broken something in rc.conf, but even when I restored rc.conf to how it was before the problem persisted. The only other thing I could think to try was disabling gdm, however I have the same problem with the basic text based login, no keyboard.  sad

I found this thread...
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64165
...which sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing, but I know that xf86-input-evdev is installed and hotplugging is disabled.

Anyone know what would cause this or how I can fix it?
Thanks so much, let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by Rew (2009-11-11 08:12:19)

#2 2009-11-08 07:32:15

MadTux

Re: Keyboard Stops Responding [Solved]

Is that an internal or external keyboard; if external, is it USB or otherwise connected? How does your daemon list in /etc/rc.conf look like? KDE needs hal and it should be started as early as possible, e.g.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng hal network crond alsa kdm)

If you have the same problem with basic text login, then anything related to X, e.g. xf86-input-evdev and hotplugging, are probably not relevant, since X isn't started at that point.

#3 2009-11-08 08:39:36

Rew

hi thanks for the reply

Yes it's an external USB keyboard, and by the way, it did work for a while (through several reboots).  This happend about an hour in.

Here is my daemon list...
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal networkmanager fam gdm httpd mysqld)

Putting hal after syslog-ng didn't make a difference

EDIT: I just noticed that the on screen keyboard doesn't work either.  That seems odd.

Last edited by Rew (2009-11-08 08:48:57)

#4 2009-11-10 10:07:26

Rew

I know it's bad manners to bump my own thread but I'm tearing out my hair trying to find the problem.

As I mentioned previously, the on screen keyboard doesn't work either which suggests to me the issue isnt just the external keyboard.

Does this make sense to anyone?

#5 2009-11-11 01:53:50

pedepy

i can second you on that ... adding networkmanager in place of network in the daemons list also locks/freezes/breaks my keyboard in X. works in console login, broken again upon running 'xinit' .. it's an internal keyboard, although its (oddly) connected via some internal PS/2 interface that somehow LG decided to use. (also why it jsut wont work under hackintosh .. but i disgress!!)

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#6 2009-11-11 08:11:32

Rew

Well I just found a solution but I have no idea why this worked.  Removing "httpd" and "mysqld" from the daemons list automagicly fixed it.  I tried re-adding each of them separately and it seems that both can trigger the issue.  If anyone knows why that would be please enlighten me, I really would like those services started at boot.

Thanks

Board footer