You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-08 08:15:21

anitsua

All fonts replaced with square boxes

I'm running gnome and all my fonts (including those on the login-page) have been converted to square boxes. I can still login into gnome, but if I try to run any application, the application will crash and the gnome-bug reporter appears (or so I think, the all-box font makes interpreting the message a little difficult smile. I have tried re-installing gnome (removing it first) but the square-box-font problem persists. Could someone please suggest a fix to this problem?

Many thanks.

#2 2009-11-08 08:25:25

benob

Re: All fonts replaced with square boxes

What triggered the problem? An update of Xorg? An update of font packages? An update of gnome packages? You could try to reinstall those or revert to older versions (look at /var/log/pacman.log to get the version numbers, with luck, the packages are still in /var/cache/pacman/pkg).

It can also be a font configuration problem. Look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors. Look at anything that has font in its name in your home directory (~/.font*) and in /etc.

#3 2009-11-08 08:50:43

anitsua

What triggered the problem? An update of Xorg? An update of font packages? An update of gnome packages?

I'm not sure. The only thing changed since it was working was some new packages for cups.

You could try to reinstall those or revert to older versions (look at /var/log/pacman.log to get the version numbers, with luck, the packages are still in /var/cache/pacman/pkg).

Thanks... I've been looking in there (I only installed arch yesterday, it was working fine until I rebooted this afternoon), I've tried removing/reverting to previous versions for all packages between my last reboot and the start of the problem. So far I haven't been able to get rid of the square boxes.

#4 2009-11-08 08:56:06

flamelab

Try fc-cache -f -v , then reinstall glibc, gtk2, xorg-server.

And reboot.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-11-08 08:56:15)

#5 2009-11-08 08:58:14

anitsua

The fonts returned after removing: cups-pdf, libgnomecups, gksu and gnome-cups-manager.

I'm still not sure which one caused the problem (adding them back one-by-one to test).

Thanks for pointing out the location of pacman.log.

Board footer