You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-08 09:26:09

blueviper

LiveUSB is being ignored, goes straight to GNU GRUB instead

After many attempts in installing Arch linux on my netbook I've decided to install a different distro. But now LiveUSB is not being recognized and it just goes straight to GNU GRUB. No other LiveUSB works except a LiveUSB of Archlinux. How do I go about restoring this?

#2 2009-11-08 12:01:32

skiffcz

Re: LiveUSB is being ignored, goes straight to GNU GRUB instead

Thats weird, if the usb is really bootable, it should boot. Try to disable your HDDs in bios (or leave only USB option in boot sequence), so it leaves bios no other option except to boot from USB. If this fails, then the USB dongle is indeed borken.

btw, I have fought my battle with installing arch to netbook yesterday, and was unable to do it from windows in the end. When the .IMG was raw-written on the stick in linux, everything worked flawlessly. You may try the Gparted live (basic debian with flux) way, which worked for me:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 25#p652125

Feel free to contact me through email, if you have any questions regarding it wink

#3 2009-11-08 19:44:10

Lich

Re: LiveUSB is being ignored, goes straight to GNU GRUB instead

Actually it is possible that the BIOS skips your usb because of beeing slow. This same thing happens on my laptop, USB is the first boot device, I pop in a bootable usb, and it still goes into grub. What I have to do is to manually go to the boot menu of the bios (it's hitting ESC in my case) and select the usb from there.

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

Board footer