You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-08 15:55:25

noalwin

[Solved] USB Smart Card reader doesn't work until I replug it

Hello, I'm having issues with my smart card reader. If I boot with it plugged, it doesn't seem to work properly until I replug it. I have tried on two different pcs with the same results.

It's an SCM SCR3310

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e6:5116 SCM Microsystems, Inc. SCR331-LC1 SmartCard Reader

The related packages installed on my system are
openct 0.6.17-1
pcsclite 1.5.5-1
ccid 1.3.11-2 (also tried with scmccid 5.0.11-1)
opensc-dnie 1.4.6-2

Before repluging it

$ opensc-tool -D
[opensc-tool] reader-pcsc.c:877:pcsc_detect_readers: SCardListReaders failed: 0x8010002e
[opensc-tool] reader-pcsc.c:996:pcsc_detect_readers: returning with: No readers found
Configured card drivers:
  dnie             DNIe card driver

And

$ firefox http://www.dnielectronico.es/como_utilizar_el_dnie/verificar.html
NPP_GetValue()
NPP_GetValue()
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice'
[opensc-pkcs11] reader-pcsc.c:877:pcsc_detect_readers: SCardListReaders failed: 0x8010002e
[opensc-pkcs11] reader-pcsc.c:996:pcsc_detect_readers: returning with: No readers found
[opensc-pkcs11] iso7816.c:99:iso7816_check_sw: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] base_card.c:1208:card_read_binary: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card.c:430:sc_read_binary: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card_helper.c:326:card_helper_read_certificate_file: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card_sync.c:880:card_sync_card_to_virtual_fs_certificate_file_callback: returning with: Security status not satisfied

several times more those errors and then a lots of

[opensc-pkcs11] reader-pcsc.c:877:pcsc_detect_readers: SCardListReaders failed: 0x8010002e
[opensc-pkcs11] reader-pcsc.c:996:pcsc_detect_readers: returning with: No readers found

Firefox keeps asking me the PIN again and again

After I reboot it works ok

$ opensc-tool -D
Configured card drivers:
  dnie             DNIe card driver
$ firefox http://www.dnielectronico.es/como_utilizar_el_dnie/verificar.html
NPP_GetValue()
NPP_GetValue()
OpenOffice path is '/usr/lib/openoffice'
[opensc-pkcs11] base_card.c:1208:card_read_binary: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card.c:430:sc_read_binary: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card_helper.c:326:card_helper_read_certificate_file: returning with: Security status not satisfied
[opensc-pkcs11] card_sync.c:880:card_sync_card_to_virtual_fs_certificate_file_callback: returning with: Security status not satisfied

again those errors several times

And I can use the smart card reader properly.

Also, in Firefox, preferences, advanced, security devices I added /usr/lib/opensc-pkcs11.so as module, and prior the replug, it doesn't seem to recognize the smart card reader.

Last edited by noalwin (2009-11-08 23:58:21)

#2 2009-11-08 16:33:48

ybotspawn

Re: [Solved] USB Smart Card reader doesn't work until I replug it

Just want to make sure to get the dumb questions out of the way, but you did add the security module to firefox, correct?  My old laptop worked fine, ill post my configuration when I get home.  Any chance you can let us know your firefox configuration.  Does it do the same with for example konqueror.  Personal Message me the site you are trying to access.

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#3 2009-11-08 20:41:08

noalwin

Yes, I added it. In fact it works with firefox after replug

By the way, before the replug
plasmadesktopah2145.th.jpg
After the replug
plasmadesktopph2145.th.jpg

As far I know, the only browsers with smart card support are Internet Explorer and Firefox. I haven't seen how to configure it in konqueror.

I doubt that the website is the problem. I'm trying to test the spanish electronic ID card with an official test site. If you don't have a spanish ID card I doubt that you will be able to test it.

The official test site is http://www.dnielectronico.es/como_utili … ficar.html which at the bottom links to https://av-dnie.cert.fnmt.es/compruebac … pruebacert that is the site where it tries to use the smart card.

Last edited by noalwin (2009-11-08 20:41:53)

#4 2009-11-08 21:18:33

brianhanna

Are you loading pcscd after hal in your rc.conf?  We have similar issues even under Windows at work.  The card reader just stops working once in a while and you have to replug it to get it working again.

#5 2009-11-08 21:29:15

noalwin

This is my current DAEMONS line in rc.conf

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network net-profiles netfs crond hal alsa postfix sensors cups ntpd avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd rtorrent sshd mysqld lighttpd svnserve samba openct pcscd kdm)

I think that once I configured it in windows 7 and ubuntu, it has worked properly without need to replug. But I'll check again.

Edit: I checked again and it work properly without replug on Windows7 and in Ubuntu 9.04

Edit2:
Disabling the openct daemon seems to solve the issue, but I get errors like

Error: can't open /var/run/openct/status: No existe el fichero o el directorio

So I boot openct after pcscd and that removes those errors.

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network net-profiles netfs crond hal alsa postfix sensors cups ntpd avahi-daemon avahi-dnsconfd rtorrent sshd mysqld lighttpd svnserve samba pcscd openct kdm)

Anyway, I'm still intrigued about the

[opensc-pkcs11] card_helper.c:83:card_helper_read_file: returning with: Security status not satisfied                                                                  
[opensc-pkcs11] card_sync.c:995:card_sync_card_to_virtual_fs_data_file_callback: returning with: Security status not satisfied

Last edited by noalwin (2009-11-09 00:09:06)

Board footer