You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-10 01:48:43

stupac

No route/gateway address using NetworkManager

Hi all!

So far I've had a lot of success with my first arch install, that is until I tried installing NetworkManager.

This is a laptop and I roam around to lots of networks so using the command line to connect was a bit of a drag for my situation. I have the applet working fine in KDE 4 and can connect to networks no problem, but I get no gateway address. Regular network worked fine, I was able to connect just fine using the command line so I know my card, etc is working.

Here's my files and info(please note I'm using my wireless card(eth0 strangely enough) to connect):

$ netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table            
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.11.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0 

/etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager                                                 
domain setup                                                                  
search setup                                                                  
nameserver 192.168.11.1

/etc/rc.conf
# NETWORKING -Note I've tried the interfaces with and without the bangs(!)
eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 eth1)

# DAEMONS
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng netfs crond alsa !network hal networkmanager kdm)

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost deepthought

The archwiki under NetworkManager says this which I believe is my issue:

Missing default route
On at least one KDE4 system, no default route was created when establishing wireless connections with NetworkManager. Changing the route settings of the wireless connection to remove the default selection "Use only for resources on this connection" solved the issue.

Unfortunately, from this I wasn't able to figure out how to fix it. Also, a forum search seemed to produce many similar issues, but all were unanswered. I don't want to set a default permanent gateway address either because I roam between so many networks.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited by stupac (2009-11-10 01:50:10)

#2 2009-11-10 01:56:24

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: No route/gateway address using NetworkManager

My best advice is trash networkmanager in favor of wicd; it's a much cleaner, more reliable solution in my experience.

#3 2009-11-10 02:12:27

stupac

I'll give wicd a shot, but I'd still like to get NetworkManager working if possible. No offense intended, but I like its sleek integration with KDE. If wicd is that much better though, I suppose I may never go back. Thanks for the advice Misfit.

#4 2009-11-12 19:57:41

stupac

I installed wicd and it seemed to work good the first time, I got online alright and was able to browse the web from home. But at work where I principally use the system I have problems.

I can do anything from the command line (ping addresses, use pacman, even browse the web with the lynx browser) as a user, not just as root. But, konqueror or firefox cannot access the web through domain names (just says unknown host or server not found respectively). If I ping the address in the terminal and copy the ip into the browser it will go through. Very odd, it's like dns isn't working in the gui but perfectly from the command. I've tried on the wired and wireless here as well getting the same result.

My desktop at work I've run many distributions from and never had this type of issue, right now I'm running puppy on it and I can use it to access the web just fine. Any ideas?

$ netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth1
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth1

$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:F1:05:41:49  
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8000 Memory:d0202000-d0202fff 

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0A:E4:58:13:6F  
          inet addr:192.168.1.27  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20a:e4ff:fe58:136f/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:472 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:79682 (77.8 Kb)  TX bytes:2534 (2.4 Kb)
          Interrupt:10 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:1240 (1.2 Kb)  TX bytes:1240 (1.2 Kb)

/etc/rc.conf
# NETWORKING
eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(!eth0 !eth1)

#DAEMONS
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng netfs crond alsa !network hal wicd !networkmanager kdm)

Last edited by stupac (2009-11-12 20:00:25)

#5 2009-11-12 20:35:43

pseudonomous

This error you are having sounds very strange, and while I'm not too confident any of this will help maybe you could try:

1) Bring your wired connection down when you use wireless, I seem to recall some programs having issues if I was connected both wired / wireless because my routing table didn't specify a default route and the programs couldn't decide which interface to use.

2) Maybe, somehow, you are blocking DNS replies?  Is there some firewall / networking application that starts only when you are logged into KDE (like maybe the network manager applet is still auto-starting and messing things up)?

3) Check w/ your network administrator at work, I had a hard time connecting to my universities wireless network and it turned out they were auto-filtering my mac address because I had an ssh server running on a non-standard port, some discussion later, I got them to add an exception for me after which things were fine.  Maybe. for some reason, they are blocking your dns requests?

4) Oh ... one more thing to check is that your network interfaces aren't swapping names when you boot up (this happened to me), if this happens you can fix it with either the "ifrename" utility or udev rules (I think, I use ifrename).

If you want to get access to some more tools that might help you diagnose what's going on, if you don't already have dnsutils, installed, you could grab those and see if nslookup tells you anything interesting.  Also maybe loot resolv.conf.

#6 2009-11-12 22:35:43

stupac

Thanks for the reply pseudonomous.

1) Tried this and wasn't effective unfortunately.

2) I have no firewall or other networking apps starting that I know of. This is a pretty barebones install, I only followed the basic setup, installed kde, wpa_supplicant, networkmanager, and wicd. I'm not sure how to see if the network manager applet is running. Checking ps -e revealed that knetworkmanager is running but the networkmanager applet hasn't been appearing in the notification area like before, only wicd. On a side note, I tried switching back to networkmanger (and then back to network only) and neither worked, I had the same issue, but wicd continues to start even with the daemon disabled. What would cause it to start? What file does kde use to determine which programs to start?

3) Actually I work at a small company and I really am the pseudo-network admin. We just have a commercial motorola modem/router which I setup. DNS seems to be working perfectly from the command line, just in any gui web browser it does not seem to function. Maybe a kde issue? I got the dnsutils and as I suspected nslookup has no problem resolving any address. I didn't post my resolv.conf because all it contained was normal (nameserver 192.168.1.254). All the settings I've looked at so far have matched perfectly with all the other systems on the network that are functioning.

4) I'm certain my interfaces are swapping names, I've been switching between them enough and everything has checked out.

Very weird, seems hopeless. Too bad because I absolutely love arch so far, so fast and simple if only this would work. Thanks again for the help!

#7 2009-11-12 23:34:45

stupac

Another interesting note, wget also doesn't work, says "Temporary failure in name resolution". Don't know if that sheds any insight, so bizarre that nslookup, ping, pacman, lynx, and aria all can use dns but wget, firefox, and konqueror can't.

#8 2009-11-12 23:49:18

pseudonomous

Looking at your routing table; you don't have a default route, though it might be that the "0.0.0.0" entry is equivalent, I guess you could try replacing that route with a "default" entry.

Another idea: Could it be a timeout issue? Maybe the utilities that work, have a longer DNS timeout set?

#9 2009-11-13 00:05:38

stupac

I wasn't sure how to set the default route, I just edited the rc.conf so that ROUTE=(gateway) and set gateway to 192.168.1.254 (the router address) then restarted but it didn't make any changes to any of the entries I've posted. Wouldn't seem to be a timeout issue, on the programs that work they are lightening fast and on the ones that don't work it doesn't look like they even tried, errors just come up instantly. Very curious.

#10 2009-11-13 07:22:54

pseudonomous

You can set a default route in the following manner:

route add default gw [gateway ip-address] dev [network interface]

The stuff in rc.conf (interfaces, default gateway) will only matter if you run the "/etc/rc.d/network" script (e.g. have "network" in your rc.conf daemons array).

If you screw up your default route you remove it like:

route del default

What file does kde use to determine which programs to start?

I'm not sure, but you can definitely edit this in the  KDE "systemsettings" GUI, it's under the "advanced" tab, as the "service manager", you can also check the "autostart" section, also in the advanced tab of systemsettings.  Another thing to note is that by default KDE tries to start many of the programs you had running when you logged out (you can change this behavior in the "session manager" in systemsettings), so if you manually run knetworkmanager, or wicd, then logout, KDE will try and start these guys back up when you log back in, but if you manually quit them (or kill the processes in a console or w/ ksysguard), it shouldn't start them up.  Of course, the un-installation method is a truly fool-proof method to prevent programs from running.   

I would see if you can get things up and running when you a single network management program running, you should maybe restart your network management program of choice after you kill the others, just for good measure.

If that doesn't work, try adding a default route manually.

Also, maybe try changing your resolv.conf to use your ISP's nameserver instead of your modem, or use a third party public DNS server.

I would think one of the three above suggestions should work; if neither do, I would try connecting to your network manually, Kill all your network management programs, associate to your AP with wpa_supplicant, then run dhcpcd to grab an ip address, and see if you can make things work right.  Once that happens, then you can work on finding something to set things up for you automatically.

(edited many times after accidentally posting prematurely)

Last edited by pseudonomous (2009-11-13 07:53:59)

Board footer