You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-10 12:34:26

cb474

Kernel Panic During Shutdown

For a little while, I randomly get kernel panics during shutdown. It doesn't happen every time, just occasionally. Maybe a couple times a week. I can't detect any pattern to it or anything specific that I did, before the panic happened.

How would I go about troubleshooting this? I don't know where the logs are to check or anything like that.

I'm running Arch64, with kernel 2.6.30.

#2 2009-11-10 13:15:06

grey

Re: Kernel Panic During Shutdown

The logs are in /var/log{kernel,messages,everything}.log
I would boot a different OS (liveCD if needs be), mount the partition containing /var/log and then do ls -lrt to see which file was modified last.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2009-11-11 02:40:37

cb474

Re: Kernel Panic During Shutdown

Thanks.

I looked into kernel.log, messages.log, everything.log, and errors.log, but didn't see anything about the kernel panic. Do you know which file has the verbose messages you see when shutting down? When I get the panic, basically there's suddenly a whole couple pages of errors, one saying "panic," and then the computer freezes. But in the log files, it seems like I'm just seeing the verbose messages from startup, not shutdown. Or is it because of the kernel panic that the messages don't get logged?

Board footer