You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-10 17:37:13

splicer

Has anyone successfully installed RPM on Arch?

I've read the numerous threads describing how to convert .rpm packages into pkgbuilds. But I'm trying to install Intel's VTune, which apart from being distributed in closed-source rpm packages, is also installed via a series of complicated shell scripts that rely on queries to RPM.

I've tried installing RPM from the AUR, as well as building it from source, but in both cases I get a series of errors when running it -- mainly that it cannot detect anything on the system, not even /bin/sh. Basically `rpm -q` turns up nothing. I guess I'm probably missing some set-up steps, but I couldn't find any good documentation to help me here.

Since it's available on the AUR, I figure some people here must've done it successfully. Any tips?

#2 2009-11-11 02:52:44

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Has anyone successfully installed RPM on Arch?

Here's a better subforum for this. :)

#3 2009-11-11 03:06:17

some-guy94

splicer wrote:

I've read the numerous threads describing how to convert .rpm packages into pkgbuilds. But I'm trying to install Intel's VTune, which apart from being distributed in closed-source rpm packages, is also installed via a series of complicated shell scripts that rely on queries to RPM.

I've tried installing RPM from the AUR, as well as building it from source, but in both cases I get a series of errors when running it -- mainly that it cannot detect anything on the system, not even /bin/sh. Basically `rpm -q` turns up nothing. I guess I'm probably missing some set-up steps, but I couldn't find any good documentation to help me here.

Since it's available on the AUR, I figure some people here must've done it successfully. Any tips?

It's because nothing is installed according to rpm, try using rpm -Uvh --nodeps to install the package

#4 2010-05-17 05:25:52

akephalos

I created an Arch package for a commercial binary rpm application, you may see it here:

pkgname=Maya2009
pkgver=2009.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="High-end 3D animation suite."
arch=('x86_64')
url="http://www.autodesk.com/maya"
license=('proprietary')
depends=('tcsh' 'libjpeg6' 'libgl' 'fam' 'libxp' 'libxpm')
makedepends=('rpm' 'cpio')
source=(Maya2009_0_64-2009.0-423.x86_64.rpm \
    postPkg.sh)
md5sums=('48646ed435722682857b92c5bfa79d02'
    '3072e06e004e273b0e85637fc6d5d7ce')

build() {
  cd ${pkgdir}
  rpm2cpio ${srcdir}/Maya2009_0_64-2009.0-423.x86_64.rpm > Maya2009.cpio || return 1
  cpio -idmv < Maya2009.cpio || return 1
  rm Maya2009.cpio || return 1
  cp ${srcdir}/postPkg.sh ${pkgdir}/postPkg.sh || return 1
  sh postPkg.sh || return 1
  rm postPkg.sh || return 1
}

Basically find out somehow all the dependencies and add them - I knew this already and didn't bother to find a method using rpm or something, then run this to extract the installation scripts from the rpm:

$ rpm -pq --scripts <PackageName>.rpm > scripts

Now edit that "scripts" to add/remove whatever necessary, maybe not a very easy task, for example Maya requires a directory called /usr/tmp and some symlinks, I put everything in that file. In a quick and dirty manner, I renamed this file "postPkg.sh" and run if from the build() function in the work dir (some path-related things), but afaik the pacman way is to put them in the "*.install" script to restore the modification when removing the package, and so on.

Finally build your package with 'makepkg -s', as usual.

Board footer